cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 V-ray Edition detects 6 CPU instead of 4

Aymen_MAMI
Level 3

Hello,

I have installed Backup Exec 2014 v-ray edition using 4 v-ray licences per CPU Tier A and 2 Application and databases licences.

agents Backup Exec.JPG

2 Backup Exec agents were installed on my SQL01 and SQL02 physical servers (covered by my 2 Applications and databases licences).

2 Backup Exec agents were installed on my 2 hyper-v servers, each server have 2 CPU (6 cores each).

image001.png

and 4 Backup Exec agents were installed on 4 virtual machines (covered by the v-ray edition.

My problem is that Backup Exec is indicating that 6 CPU are in use instead of 4 as aquired in the licences. and i do not understand where the 2 extra CPU came from, it seems to me like a bug and that Backup Exec is counting wrong. I opened a case with symantec support by i didn't find help there.

licence v-ray error.JPG

I appreciate if someone could explain my issue. Thank you.

Best Regards

Aymen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

This is something that we are looking into. I am working with the engineer that is currently assigned to your case.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

Aymen,

If you would be willing to provide me with a case number I would be happy to look over the notes and details of troubleshooting efforts, and see if I might be able to help. You can send me a PM with the case number or reply to this post.

Aymen_MAMI
Level 3

Thank you, I PM you with the case number

criley
Employee Accredited

This is something that we are looking into. I am working with the engineer that is currently assigned to your case.

Ag_BC
Level 4

I am also having similar issues with the licensing warning. 

criley
Employee Accredited

Ag BC,

Can you provide more details please? A screenshot of the license screen would help along with details of your environment (type of virtual host, number of CPUs, cores per CPU etc).

Ag_BC
Level 4

Hi I have PM you with the case number. The engineer or the case should have all the information.

criley
Employee Accredited

It seems you are experiencing a different issue to the one reported in this thread. Looking at the case notes, you are getting a warning/alert which is not what we are discussing here..

Aymen_MAMI
Level 3

Hello,

Thank you for your answer. I really appreciate your help.

The 2 licenses for application & databases are 2 physical servers used as an SQL cluster (no hyper-v role installed).

There was 2 other hyper-v hosts but it's a bit more complicated, let's me explain.

First, we had:

- 2 hyper-v hosts ibm x3550 (2 CPU each) running windows 2008 r2

- 2 SQL physical servers ibm x3550 (1 CPU each) running 2008 r2

- Backup Exec 2012 with sp4 running in Trial edition running on windows 2008 r2

Then a had a migration project so I did the following in this order:

- Reinstalled the Backup server (wiped all partitions) running 2012 r2.

- Uninstalled the Backup Exec 2012 agents from all servers from add/remove programs.

- Installed Backup Exec 2014 and deployed the agents on the new and old servers.

At the moment we have:

- The old 2 hyper-v hosts ibm x3550 (2 CPU each) running windows 2008 r2 (backup exec agents doesn't exist anymore) and those will be reinstalled and sent to a backup site.

- 2 new hyper-v hosts ibm x3650 (2 CPU each) running windows 2012 r2 (those are the ones used with the v-ray licenses).

- 2 same SQL physical servers ibm x3550 (added another CPU to each so now 2 CPU each) reinstalled under windows 2012 r2 and used with the 2 applications and databases licenses.

- The rest is virtual.

Note: I noticed the license warning at the point when I already installed 2 hyper-v agent and only 1 SQL agent (didn't check earlier sorry) but the warning didn't change after installing the second SQL agent.

Best Regards

Aymen

Aymen_MAMI
Level 3

Hello,

I'm going to mark this thread as resolved because your explanation about my old Hyper-v Servers seems convincing. I will wait untill we remove those servers completely from the site and wait for 30 days to see if the alert is gone. Thank you again for your help