cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2015 Synthetic backups

ra_tech
Level 2

Hi, I'm looking into using synthetic backups to back up some Server 2008 devices and I have a few questions which I can't seem to find any information on.

I notice the synthetic backup cannot do a system state backup and hence can't use SDR. How would one go about recovering a server from a synthetic backup in the case of a disaster recovery scenario?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Alternative to SDR will be the "manual" recovery process. The Admin Guide contains information on how to go about a manual recovery. Additionally, this link will give you an idea as well https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH83015.html

However synthetic backups backup only volumes & drives. You would need a backup of system state using a non-synthetic backup as well. So, probably, you will have to restore C:\ first followed by a System State restore in a second job.

ra_tech
Level 2

Thank you. What would be the Symantec recommended way of backing up a server for DR capabilities?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

SDR. Its the quickest way.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
At a minimum, you need to backup the entire C: drive and the system state using normal backup, not synthetic