cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2015 and SQL Database files missing

symantecuser555
Level 3

Hello, 

my collegue created a backup job in backup exec 2015 (backup C: and D: of a SQL Server) (looks like the SQL Database files a missing, but why?)
One of the RAID Harddisk had Smart Errors and meanwhile the server didn´t start/boot and we need to do a recovery.

1) We noticed, that Backup Exec didn´t saved our running SQL Databases (*.MDF / *.LDF) Files only only the other files in the SQL Folder.

We have a Demo Version of Backup Exec 2015, because we would like to switch from Acronis to Symantec. I can´t ask the collegue at the moment, but I think he didn´t created a separat SQL Database Backup JOB.

2) Am I am right, I can´t do a complete recovery of C: and D: to a different hardware? (like with symantec system recovery)?

thanks and best regards

Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

A complete recovery like SSR isn't possible with BE, but you should be able to restore files and folders to another server with a couple of additional steps to get this working. Don't do it in a production environment, but test that this works in yours first.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV

...Backup Exec will exclude files like *.edb, *.stm, *.mdf etc as it has a setting called Active File Exclusion.

Unless you used the agent for SQL, you wouldn't be able to backup the flat files unless you disable AFE, and then you can't do live backups and restores for instance.

Invoke the trial for the Agent for Databases on BE and select the actual SQL instance instead.

Thanks!

CraigV

A complete recovery like SSR isn't possible with BE, but you should be able to restore files and folders to another server with a couple of additional steps to get this working. Don't do it in a production environment, but test that this works in yours first.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
With BE 15 you can recover your server to dissimilar hardware by using SDR.