cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 22.2 - Unable to backup to tape, disk does work

SteveJD
Level 3

Hi,

I've built a replacement Backup Exec server with Windows Server 2022, and Backup Exec 22.2.

I have 3 tape libraries connected, each with a single drive, they are on the hardware compatibility list.

Incremental and full backups to disk work fine, this is using 94TB of internal storage. These jobs include, duplicate the last full backup to tape.

Executing any job to tape fails with the following error:

Completed status: Failed, Final error: 0xe00084f4 - An unknown error has occurred. Final error category: System errors.

An unknown error has occurred on device "Tape drive 0002". V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred.

I've tried searching for answers online and have engaged with Veritas support and provided them with numerous job logs, however, the jobs still fail.

9 REPLIES 9

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Try recreating your job.

I previously deleted the job, no change. I also deleted the library and tape units from Backup Exec and Windows, rebooted to enable re-installation, still nothing works.

kf2013
   VIP   

Yep, I'd seen that article and tried all the solutions.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Check that the tape drive is using the default Microsoft driver.

2) Check that the HBA is not a RAID HBA which is not supported.

3) Run the manufacturer's diagnostics against the library and the tape drive.

The tape drives are using the default Microsoft drivers. I understand Backup Exec employs it's owner drivers.

The HBA is not using RAID.

Diagnostics are good, I also successfully tested writing to the drive using Linux mtx commands.

PJ_Backup
Employee

You've probably come across this technote already but just in case not - this is the standard very comprehensive guide to troubleshooting tape libraries/tape drives:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100016050 How to troubleshoot issues with a Robotic Library (autoloader/changer) and/or Tape Drive(s).

My only other suggestion is have you tried it with just one tape library attached, as it seems quite unusual to be using three separate ones simultaneously. Just as a test to see if this makes any difference. Just a thought.

I'd previously tested just one loader attached via a single cable, that failed.

This morning I did the following: updated the firmware on the LSI adaptor, but jobs still failed. I then moved the computer account to an OU with absolutely no GPO's assigned to it, ran another job and the tape backup started writing! Bearing in mind I have a 2012 R2 legacy server with pretty much the same GPO's applied, and of course that's been fine. I hadn't really considered any of my GPO's to be a problem with Server 2022 and prevent writing to tape.

I decided to move the server back to it's original OU, started another job, and it's working! Very weird...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The HBA is not using RAID.

It doesn't have to use RAID.  As long as it is a RAID HBA, it is not supported.