cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 8.6 - Relocating Catalog files to new drive/folder location

John_Grist
Level 3
I have BE 8.6 for Windows installed on a Windows 2000 server. The catalog files are currently stored on drive C:. Can I relocate them to drive D: on the same server without losing the catalog information? Is it as simple as selecting a new drive/folder location under the tools/catalog tab and just copying the existing catalog files from their current location?

Thanks

John Grist
City of Amarillo, Texas
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Yep

From Tools\Options, select the new location of your catalogs folder, shut down all BackupExec services, move only the *.U01 files to the new location, then restart BackupExec

Done

John_Grist
Level 3
Would it work if I also decided to manually "thin out" the catalogs by deleting the *.U01 files older than, say two years ago?

Thanks

John Grist

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Should be no problem.

If you still have those tapes, and ever want to restore something from them, you would need to inventory and them catalog them before you could restore.

If you want to keep the tapes protected, but cut down on the size of your catalog. you could set the TRUNCATE CATALOGS option to 90 or 180 or ?? days. This would leave the header in the catalog, and prevent the tapes from being reused if they are still within the OPP, but all detail info would be deleted.

You would again need to inventory and catalog before you could restore from them