cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 8.6 SBS stuck on Loading Media when trying to restore

Josh_Perez
Level 2
I am trying to restore data off a backup tape. When I go to restore the data, it gets to the part where it is Loading Media, and it asks me to take out the tape, then to insert the tape back in (same tape). It's stuck in this loop and I am getting some heat from the customer for their lost data. Anyone have any clues?

I know the data is there because I can browse it from the backup exec software (I selected the data to restore), so I don�t think the tape is bad. I spent about 6 hours trying to find something about this online last night, and I am lost at the moment. Any suggestions would be grateful.
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The on disk catalog is totally separate from the tape(s). You can still see entries for data on bad tapes

Try this to see if the tape is indeed bad:

Shut down all Backup Exec services
Rename the \Catalogs directory - to \catalogs.old for example
Restart the services
inventory and catalog the tape in question
if the last step worked, you should be good restore, if not, the tape is probably bad

This tape is not part of a multi-volume set, is it? if so, you'll need to inventory and catalog all tapes in the set.

Josh_Perez
Level 2
Thank you!

This worked perfect. I found out that one of the two tapes were bad. But one wasn't and I was able to restore the data just fine following your steps.

My customer, my boss and myself all thank you for your help.