cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre Post command execution

Sal_DeAugustino
Level 4
I have created a backup job that backups up two different remote servers. I need two batch files (one pre one post) to run only on one machine. In the settings in the backup job I only have two options to run the command on the media server or on each server. According the help file the pre/post command will be run on each server in the job. Is it possible to have the batch files only run on one of the servers?

The scenario I have is that I am trying to back Enterprise Vault 6.0 and I need to run a pre command that is a batch file to stop services, import a registry file and start services. This puts the Enterprise Vault server in Read Only mode. I then need to backup both the server running Enterprise Vault and the SQL database that Enterprise Vault uses which resides on a different server. When the backup is complete I need to run a post command that will stop services, import a registry file and restart services putting the Enterprise Vault software back into read write mode.

This is why I cannot run the pre/post command on all servers in the backup job.

Thanks in advance for any help.
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Nope. The choices are Media Server Only and ALL servers

'Course if the script doesn't exist on a specific server, it won't run, but will fail the job because the Pre/Post job didn't run

What you could do is create two jobs

1) The Enterprise Vault job.
pre script to put it in read only
post script to call BEMCMD and release the SQL job

2) SQL job
no pre cmd
post cmd to place the vault in Full service Mode. If the restart job can ONLY be run on the Vault server, you may need top create a third job that backs up one sample file, released from the SQL job, with a post script to place the Vault in full service

Quite a kludge, I'll admit, but it SHOULD work

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Did the solution provided to you by Ken help you.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Sal_DeAugustino
Level 4
No, I am still working on this.

Sal_DeAugustino
Level 4
I created two batch files that will run on the media server only.

Thanks for your help.