cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 9.0 failed event ID 34113 & 58116

jeg97a
Level 3
Hi,

I've just started having my backup jobs failing with Event ID 34113 Backup Exec Engine system service is not responding. And 58116 NDMP TCP/IP port 10000 is already in use.
The Backup Exec Engine isn't running and I can't get it to start nor can I get the Remote Engine to start. All other services are running. With the Event ID 58116 I did a netstat and port 10000 is available not not being used. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,
As a preliminary step, make sure that you have updated Backup Exec v9.0 to Backup Exec v9.1. It addresses many issues and enhancements from an earlier versions and Build of Backup Exec v9.0. Refer the following technotes:

Title: VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691.1 (Single .ZIP download)

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264658.htm

Title: VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers General Information

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/262414.htm

Note: 1. BEWS 9.1 is a free downloadable upgrade inclusive of previously installed agents and options from Backup Exec 9.0 for Windows Servers agents and options.

2. Update all agents/options on all remote systems after the upgrade.

Please install Backup Exec 9.1 Service pack 1 after upgrading to 9.1 from the following link:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/267182.htm

Please install the latest drivers from the following link:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/273853.htm

We hope this will help.

Aalok_Pathak_2
Level 6
Let us know if issue is still persists.

jeg97a
Level 3
Thank you. I'll give it a try. I've been having problems with the link to download 9.1 off the website.

ashwin_pawar
Level 6
Try downloading it from our FTP site:

URL:

Filename: Q118478.BEWS.91.4691.1_264658.zip Run the installation from setup.exe.

jeg97a
Level 3
Thank you. I did the 9.1 upgrade and installed SP1. The Backup Exec Job Engine and Remote Engine still will not start. Any ieads? Thanks again.

anoop_nair_2
Level 6
Hi,

This issue could occur due to some kind of corruption in the Backup Exec database. Hence suggest you to perform repair of the Backup Exec database.
Follow the steps below to repair the Backup Exec database:
1. Open BEUTILITY (C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT)

2. Add the Media server a. Right click on All Media Servers and choose "Add Media Server"

3. Right click on the media server and stop the services .

4. In C:\Program Files\VERITAS\BACKUP Exec\NT\Data copy the BEDB_DAT.MDF

5. In BEUTILITY Right click on the media server name and choose "Repair Database"

jeg97a
Level 3
HI,

I did the Database Repair. he Backup Exec Job Engine and Remote Agent Engine still will not start. All the other engines start. The message says they fail to start due to dependence issues. I'm only using the software on the server it's installed on. Thanks.

jeg97a
Level 3
It seems that the Remote Agent is the problem. It's not starting and causing the Job Engine to not start. Isn't the Remote Agent Engine for allowing Veritas to backup other servers? I'm only backing up the server Veritas is installed on. Thanks.

jeg97a
Level 3
Would my best bet be to uninstall and reinstall veritas, then do the 9.1 update? Thanks.

jeg97a
Level 3
I uninstalled Veritas and tried to reinstall it. I'm getting a error message that the remote agent is still installed and I can't install local until it's removed. I can't seem to find the agent anywhere.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
Hi,

Could you please tell the exact error that you are getting? Please note that if the uninstall the Remote Agent does not get uninstalled using Add/Remove Programs, it has to be manually uninstalled incl. the entries from the registry. But it would be better to contact Veritas support before taking such a step.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered threads’ pool.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.