cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 9.1 Restore direct from USB drive via NAS

Jonshepp
Level 2

I can create a restore onto one of our NAS boxes, then save those files to a removable USB drive.

Is it then possible to restore the files on the USB drive directly through Veritas Backup Exec 9.1 without first having to copy them back onto the NAS box?

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

So a redirected restore to the IP address of the NAS...this should work. Just make sure that the NAS is listed on the HCL to be safe, but a redirected restore would be the way to do it (\\IP_Address\ShareName).

Thanks!

Jonshepp
Level 2

Thanks for advice, but i dont quite follow. I can backup directly to the USB drive and then restore. But if i copy the files from the NAS onto the USB drive i cant restore them. As there is no media catalog because the job hasnt originated from Veritas.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I believe this will also apply to 9.1 - you should not flat file copy backup to disk files outside of the operation of Backup Exec itself (except for purposes of migration)

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH176061

Now I am not sure 9.1 had the ability to run duplicate jobs so it is possible you might be a little bit limited in your options.

And yes to your original question BE has no way to understand that you moved the files to USB and manual steps will be required to return them you cannot restore directly from them.

Jonshepp
Level 2

Hi, Thanks for the advice, could you please point me in the direction of what the manual steps are?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You have to get the files back into a Backup to disk folder and then run an inventory on that folder