cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 9.1 & Small Business Server 2003

nulaid
Level 3
We have two servers that are running agents on them. One is a file server and the other is our Exchange 5.5 server. Both servers are being decommissioned and replaced with a server running SBS 2003.

My question is, can we reinstall the agents onto the new server?
7 REPLIES 7

Jeffrey_Walton
Level 4
Hi Nulaid,

How would you reinstall the agent on a fresh build (or is this what you are asking)?

From the Tools Menu, choose Serail Numbers and Installation. Push Remote Agent (RANT32) to the new box.

Jeff

nulaid
Level 3
Hello Jeffrey,

That's exactly what I am asking. I just wasn't sure with the new build being SBS 2003 if I could install the agents I currently have or if I had to obtain new agents specific to SBS 2003.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You should be able to install what you have, I think. but I'm not completely sure

For the SBS specific serial, you can only backup the local SBS Server itself and the local Exchange and SQL databases, as well as networked workstations. The tape drive must be locally attached to the SBS Server

nulaid
Level 3
Ken,

Right now our tape drive is attached to another box (Win2K Server) and we are using the remote agents and Exchange agent to backup the file server as well as the Exchange server. Are you saying that we will not be able to backup the new server using the remote agent and the Exchange agent?

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Sure that is fine - just install the remote agent onto the SBS 2003 server and back it up from your W2K server.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
No, what I said was that the SBS version would only backup itself, but that the version you have should backup the SBS server fine if you install the Exchange and Remote Agents on the SBS server.

nulaid
Level 3
Thanks for your input.