Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 9.1 not "seeing" AIT media

Robert_Enci
Level 3
Backup Exec 9.1
Windows 2000 Server

Within the last month our DLT tape drive failed. I replaced it with a Sony AIT drive. Installation of the hardware was quick and painless. I went through and removed all references to the old DLT drive and ran the device wizard to get the new sony up and running. Everything, hardware wise, seems to be functioning fine, windows 2000 sees the drive, so does BE. Anytime i try and initiate a job, any job (with the exception of ejecting the media) it fails with a message indicating i need to insert overwritable media. I have already gone through all the steps i could find on the tech support page, with no success.
I already conffirmed that the media is correct for the drive.
I have tried setting my media type to "4mm" instead of AIT.
13 REPLIES 13

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are you using new media or are you trying to reuse old media?

The formats of DLT and AIT are not compatible AFAIK

Robert_Enci
Level 3
No this is new media purchased with the AIT drive. I have moved the DLT media set to the retired group and have since deleted it as it can't be used anymore.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Hmmm

Did you label the new media and then move to a media set? if so, move then to the scratch media set and try a jpb.

Do you have any manufacturer diagnostics you can run agains the drive?

Robert_Enci
Level 3
I can't manipulate the media in any fashion with BE, however, if I allow Microsoft backup access to the drive, backup sees it and tries to format the media.... so that tells me hardware is good.... it's probably some stupid setting i'm missing on BE somewhere

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Did you use manufacturer drivers or the latest BackupExec DriverPack?

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/273853.htm

Robert_Enci
Level 3
Yes, driver pack was installed even tho my drive wasn't on the list of updated drivers.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Have you tried moving the media to the scratch media set?

Thanks

Robert_Enci
Level 3
I can't get BE to recognize the media, so i can't move it anywhere.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you insert a tape and try to do an inventory, what error(s) do you get

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

We request you to update us on this issue.

Thanks,

Robert_Enci
Level 3
Cannot inventory the tape, tape kicks out and asks for me to insert overwriteable media

I'm considering just paying for a 1 time support instance, i've been without a backup for several weeks at this point

Robert_Enci
Level 3
I uninstalled and reinstalled BE 9, updated to 9.1, did all the updates. Fired off an inventory of the drive, it found the media... i ran a test backup and VOILA !!!! Up and running. Only downside is i don't know what was causing the problem in the first place. But at least we are backing up. Thanks to all who tried to help.

Robb

Robert_Enci
Level 3
An uninstall and fresh reinstall solved the issue perrfectly.