cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 9.1 not responding after repair

Barry_McKinley
Level 2
Backup exec has been running fine for many weeks.
Recently a warning appeared that there was an issue with an agent or license.

I ran a repair from the installation screen.

The backup exec interface does not open. It shows "initializing the user interface in lower left" and "not connected in lower right". The backup did not run last night. I can not stop the services,

I see the following error messages in Event Viewer;

Event Source: IISInfoCtrs Event ID: 1003

"Could not stop the backup exec agent browser service on local computer. error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion"

I can not start the user interface. I can not stop the services. Rebooting the server seems to take an exceptionally long time to come back to life.

Thanks,

Barry
4 REPLIES 4

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please try the following technote. This is applicable even for 9.1.
Title:
When attempting to stop the Backup Exec Services, "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion" occurs.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/239610

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Barry_McKinley
Level 2
Thank you for the information, however, this morning before reading your e-mail I found last night's backup had failed. I clicked on the job to see the log. I have been waiting 5 minutes yet still no display. The backup server is now dreadfully slow to the point it is unusable.

I have a blank grey screen while waiting for the log info and this is what I see in the bottom right; a round red circle with a white X and a round white circle with a red square over top of an icon I can not make out.

Should I uninstall/reinstall? How do I preserve my backup parameters?

Thanks,

Barry

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please change the start type of all Backup Exec services to Manual and reboot the server. Then apply the above mentioned technote and then try starting the services.

Do revert with the results.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Barry_McKinley
Level 2
Found out that APC software was causing the problem. A conflict with the OS. The APC services were in starting mode.

Disabled those services, now everything works.

I did apply the Veritas service pack.

Thanks,

Barry