cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Agent for VMware and Hyper-V

langendorf_gmbh
Level 2

Hello to all,

we have just installed the trial license of the Backup Exec Agent for VMware and Hyper-V on our Backup Exec 2012 installation.
The productinformation on the [url=http://www.symantec.com/backup-exec/agents-options-add-ons]Symantec website[/url] offers:

Multiple data recovery options from a single pass backup in seconds:

• Full virtual machines
  • Individual VMDK and VHD files
  • Applications and databases
  • Individual Files and Folders
  • Granular data from virtualized Applications including; Exchange, SQL, SharePoint and Active Directory*

But when creating a new backup job I could only select a complete machine within all *.vmdk files. Also I could only select a complete *.vmdk file for restore and not a single file or folder.

So, wis this a known limitation of the trial license or what must I do to use the feature that are specified on the product page?
I also search for an detailed manual for this agent but I can't find anything.

3 REPLIES 3

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This is how you select the VM for backup (Complete). Make sure that Remote agent for Windows installed on VMs. Also enable trial for Active Directory, Exchange, SQL or any other Application if you intend to do GRT.

Once the backup is performed, it allows you to select individual files and emails, etc for restore.

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Did you install the remote agent on the VM's themselves or just on the host machine ?

View doc below for best practices

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO74443

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

To expand on this once you have done the backup with GRT enabled

The restore selections for data inside the VM are accessible from the server objects representing the hostname or FQDN off the actual virtula machien that was backed up.

The restore selections for the complete VM (showing VHD or VMDK files) are accessible from the host server object (Hyper-V host, ESX Host or VCenter)

As such make sure you are slecting the correct object type when looking at what you can restore.