cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Database

S_Franz
Level 2
 Hi, Is there any way to move the Backup Exec Database to another SQL Server (instead of the MSDE that it installs on)?  Let me rephrase that, I can move the database no problem.  Is there any way to make Backup Exec USE the database on another server?

Franz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marksw
Level 5
 When you install BE, you can chose to allow it to create a MSDE database or to use an existing instance of SQL Server. However, I believe the existing instance of SQL Server HAS to be on the same server as Backup Exec. (But I'm not positive)

Mark

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marksw
Level 5
 When you install BE, you can chose to allow it to create a MSDE database or to use an existing instance of SQL Server. However, I believe the existing instance of SQL Server HAS to be on the same server as Backup Exec. (But I'm not positive)

Mark

shirmal
Level 5
 Hi Franz

Marksw is right, SQL must be on the same server to be able to use it - and it must be specified during the installation of BE.

---cheers

shirmal

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
The Backup Exec database can be on a remote server

In theory it can be moved using BEUTILITY.EXE - althopugh in some of the earlier versions of Backup Exec this option was not reliable so resulted in manual registry editing being required.

Some gotchas to be aware of
- the full SQL instance on the other server will need all protocols to be enabled.
- it is not recommended that the Backup Exec Database shares a SQL instance with any critical applications relating to your core business i.e. I would perhaps share it with say an Insight Manager database, but I would not share it with a database used for customer orders.
- If DLO is involved you must be on the newest versions of Backup Exec - and unfortunately you do have to do the original install of Backup Exec to the remote SQL server as re-configuring DLO afterwards is difficult.