cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec RAWS x64 on Windows 2008 R2 won't install

Adam_Ward
Level 3
Hi,

I'm using Backup Exec 12.5 on Windows 2003 Server with SP2. Backup Exec is fully up to date, INCLUDING hotfix 331998 (to allow Windows 2008 R2 servers to be backed up correctly)

I am having a problem installing the RAWS x64 client to Windows 2008 R2. The remote push install fails stating that the current user does not have write permission to the Windows Installer folder, etc. - but this is not true, as I'm using my Domain Administrator account

I have also tried copying the RAWSX64 folder to the new Windows 2008 R2 Server and running the "setupaax64.cmd" file. All this does it open a command prompt window for  approx. 3 seconds and then closes. The agent does not get installed, there is no evidence that it tries to install (no folders, no event viewer logs, etc.) - it just doesn't work.

I am now stumped. I need to get this server into production as soon as possible but I am reluctant to do this until I have a confirmed working backup exec agent on it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Adam.
5 REPLIES 5

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Please check the install log on the destination server. It is located at
\\Users\All Users\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs
The file name is bkupinst.htm. Please check this log for details on failure.

Thanks

Zymos
Level 2
Got a customer with the same problem. The logs state that you dont have access to windows\installer and \program files.

10-27-2009,08:21:39 : The current user does not have write access to the C:\Windows\Installer directory.
10-27-2009,08:21:39 : The current user does not have write access to the C:\Program Files directory.
10-27-2009,08:21:39 : The install could not verify that the user has rights to required install folders.

I am installing using a domain admin account so this shouldn't be any problem. Installing locally logged on the server works but not the remote push install.

/Z

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Go ahead and provide r/w permissions to specific user on c:\, c:\program files, c:\windows\installer folders. Trying a new user may also help. There could be problems with deny permissions on some folders on the system.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

Matthew_Galvin
Level 2
Certified

I have the same issue, the client cannot be pushed to R2 servers regardless of permissions. I ran filemon whilst the agent was being pushed and there wasn't a single access denied message.

This needs fixing asap!

Madmat9
Level 2
Has there been a resolution to this?