cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Remote Agent service terminated unexpectedly??

mseaney
Level 2
We've just upgraded from version 9.1 to 11d. There are 9 servers (IBM Blades HS20 running Win2k3) which have the agent running and have been updated to the latest version. All but 2 work backup fine. I find that they do a partial backup and then the services terminate. It appears that the problem occurs when its attempting to backup the C drive. Other local drives seam to be ok. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the client but this has made now difference.

One thing I have noticed while looking through the registry is that the 2 servers have the VSSProviders subkey missing from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Misc.

Not sure if this has anything to do with it??

Michael 
2 REPLIES 2

mseaney
Level 2
Update on post!

Having looked into the registry of the problem servers it would appear that the agent may not been seeing the servers as server. When you compare the server registry to an XP workstation they appear to be the same. Entries like VSSProviders and IDR are all missing from theses 2 servers. All other servers have the entries and work fine.

I have tried a push install and a manual install and neither has worked.

mseaney

mseaney
Level 2
Update 2.

Well looks like its all working now. It's down to permissions. I was attempting to restore some files to the two problem servers but keep receiving permission issues . I looked at the groups on the server to check whether the 'veritas' user was assigned to the required group. 'Backup Operators' group was fine but the 'Administrators' group did not include 'veritas' user. After adding the restore worked and also the backup that night. It seams that the Remote Agent was crashing on backup of 'System State' components because it did not have administrators access.

Michael.