cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Remote Agent update error

Seth_Weedin
Level 4

I'm running Backup Exec 12.5 and after running LiveUpdate and installing updates to the media server, I'm getting error messages when trying to push the new updates out to the remote agents.  The updates are pushed to the servers with the remote agents fine but as soon as the installation procedure begins, I get the following error:

It seems to error out as soon as the setup.exe is started.  I've also tried copying the RAWS32 folder containing the updates from the media server to the remote servers and running it locally but I get the same error.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JT_T
Level 5
Partner Certified
There's too many patches on BE Media Server's updates folder. For 32bit agent, go to your BE Server's installation folder, for example C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\RAWS32 or RAWS64, if using 64bit agents.

Under there you see Updates folder. Arrange .msp files using created or modified setting. Choose every other .msp files than SP3 and all dated after that, and remove older files.

I assume that there's some kind of limitation how many files (how long installation scripts) Backup Exec and Windows OS can handle when using push install.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner
Hi,
how many remote clients do you have?
Do you have this error on all clients?
Did you try to reboot both servers?
Any more errors?

Regards,
JoaoMatos

Seth_Weedin
Level 4
I have the agent installed on 7 remote servers and I get this error on all the servers.  I've rebooted the server with the remote agent on it but have not rebooted my media server as our users need to be able to access during our business hours until 5 this afternoon.  I plan on rebooting it this evening.  I'm wondering if it has to do with a particular update in the list because I can install the remote agent on each server fine, I just can't push the updates out to them.

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner
Maybe rebooting media server solves it

SystemsAdminAS
Level 5
Seth,

I had this problem as well.  My BE media server was updated to SP3 with all hotfixes at the time, and I had to copy the applicable RAWS folder over as you did.  the Setup app did not work, however, I had to install all the service packs and hotfixes manually - in the RAWS folder, you'll see an 'updates' folder that contains all the .msp files used to install the hotfixes (these are executable).  You can get an idea from the Date Modified fields as to the order they should be applied (as well as the sequence of the file name).  I had to apply about 20 updates to each of my agents individually before the bulk update utility would then work and push updates to them.

Give this a try and after applying SP3 on each agent, you might get push updates to work again.

JT_T
Level 5
Partner Certified
There's too many patches on BE Media Server's updates folder. For 32bit agent, go to your BE Server's installation folder, for example C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\RAWS32 or RAWS64, if using 64bit agents.

Under there you see Updates folder. Arrange .msp files using created or modified setting. Choose every other .msp files than SP3 and all dated after that, and remove older files.

I assume that there's some kind of limitation how many files (how long installation scripts) Backup Exec and Windows OS can handle when using push install.

Seth_Weedin
Level 4
Thanks JT_T, that was the issue!  So after updating the remote agents, it seems to me it applies whatever updates are in that folder no matter if they have already been applied on the remote machine or not.  Does that mean I should manually go into that folder after applying updates and delete them?  Seems like overkill to keep having the same updates applied to the remote computers if they are already installed.