Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec SSO and HP MSL6030 FC Library

Andrew_Davenpor
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hi All,

Need help and assistance in setting up 3 clusters to backup to MSL 6030 Tape Library over FC SAN.
Servers are running Win2k3 and BE10.0d
I am having problems finding decent documentation on how to do this.
Has anyone done this, is anyone willing to help?

Cheers
Andy
6 REPLIES 6

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Could you please elaborate on the issue?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Andrew_Davenpor
Level 3
Partner Accredited
I need to know more about how i configure each server.
I have backup exec and SSO installed on each of the servers in the clusters, there are 3 clusters with 2 servers in each.
At this time i cannot see the MSL 6030 as i am having issues which are being resolved by HP.
When i can see it i need to know how to configure the servers to run the backup jobs.
One of the servers has been assigned as the ADAMM server, i am not sure what this mean.
Do all jobs run to and through the ADAMM server or do they talk to the library independently?
Does the library need to be or should it be mapped to all servers or just one server or one cluster?
I really could do with a start to finish guide on using the priduct with a SAN based library.

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
All six cluster nodes will need to be zoned to see the tape library.
The ADAMM server in a SSO environment is refered to as the 'Primary' server. The Primary server contains the device database, media database, and catalog. The other servers are 'secondary' servers. The secondary contains copies of the Primaries database, but stay in constant connection to the primary in order to operate. Secondary server Jobs do not run through the primary- that is to say jobs are local to the secondary, but they use the common database on the primary to query tape drive and media status.
It would be hard for Veritas to write a start to finish configuration guide for what you're doing because there are so many ways to configure it. However, there is good data in the Administrators manual for both cluster configuration and SSO configuration.

Andrew_Davenpor
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Thats a great start, thanks!
Is the zoning controlled on the Backup Exec servers or on the SAN or MSL library?

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Zoning is a function of the FC SAN switch. Each server is connected to the switch as is the MSL library. Your SAN administrator will then ensure each cluster node has a direct path to the library.

I would not do any configuration of Backup Exec until you can see the library and tape drives within device manager of each cluster node.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Andrew,
Hope that reply helped, please write back in case of further queries.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.