cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Service did not start after installation

sebastian_penn
Level 2
Hello, i installed backup exec 2010 on a windows server 2008 r2. after the installation i booted the server, but the service "backup exec server" did not start or hang in starting state. i made a deinstallation and an new installation. same problem. i found some topics with the same issue, but the link to the patch is dead.... here is the link: http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-2010-startet-nicht or: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/339930.htm any idea? regards Sebastian
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MesutGazi
Not applicable
Finally resolved this issue.

Just change 'Region and Language > Administrative > Language for non-Unicode Programs' to 'English (United States)'

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

sebastian_penn
Level 2

Hi,

i make a reinstall without a key. (trial version)
now the service starts without problem.

USMAN_ALI
Level 3
Partner
you just need to reset backup exec services passwords in windows services after installation of backup exec server. I hope your server will be running fine.

Thanks
Usman Ali

ulrick59
Level 2
Hi,

I have the same problem but i have an error in windows system log  536837820

some other services don't want to start : Device Media, Agent browser and job engine.
I try to change the user start account it's NOT working.

Regards

Ulrick

riva11
Level 6
Try to check service user credentials on Backup Exec and perform a test to verify if running well.

ulrick59
Level 2
I use the first time a AD user account it's not working
and in the second time (with a windows new install) the local administrator account and the runas command, it's not working toofrown

Rithy
Not applicable

I have installed Symantec Exec 12.5 on Windows 2003 R2. It did not start services.  Even I tried to do manual restart, reset administration, local computer account, changed to other user domain.
Anyone know about this problem?

USMAN_ALI
Level 3
Partner
I have deployed / upgrade backup Exec many times and i faced same issue  which all of you are facing. below are the steps which i did almost every time after upgradaion and a few times after new installion .

1) log in the system with same account which you gave during the installion of backup exec as a backup exec service account.

2) reset all backup exec services password in windows services. snap shot is also attached.

Thanks
Usman

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

Download the available updates for backup Exec 2010 and install them. Restart the server, and the problem should be gone. I had the same issue and this was the fix from Symantec...

rcruick
Level 2
I'm having the same issue.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times.
I've reset the service user account several times. Logged into the system under that account. Under the Administrator account.
I'd love to install Updates, but none are available.
Very frustrating to pay this much for software that doesn't even start.

When I start the service the progress bar slows down about half way through, then it takes about 5 minutes before I get:

Backup Exec Service could not start
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start control in a timely fashion.

sfaryu
Level 2
Logged into the server (Win 2008 Enterprise) with the BE service account and reset the accounts on the service.  Got the same error as user "rcruick".

This really sucks as I couldn't install hotfix patch 344584 either.  Nothing is working....

Very frustrated...

CraigV
The easiest way, if a link doesn't work anymore, is to go onto the Symantec site itself and search for updates for Backup Exec 2010...once you find them, download and install them all. Restart and check to see if your issue is solved!

rcruick
Level 2
Finding the correct patch to install did the trick.

I have:

Windows Server 2008 Standard SP2
Backup Exec 2010 (which is technically version 13 but listed in Symantec's product list as 2010) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backup_Exec)

I installed Hotfix 344584

Without knowing exactly which version I had, and unable to open the product to verify the version I was doing a lot of guessing. As this was my first version of BE I wasn't familiar  with the version naming. Added to that was the change from numbers to year, and I hope you can see why that is confusing. 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/downloads.jsp?pid=15047&version=BEWNTPVER30528

MyLee
Level 4
my case, install sp solved the problem.
  **** symantec!

CraigV
Hey...check the language. This isn't Tourette's Forum.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Download and install the lastest hotfix from http://support.veritas.com/docs/348284 , it will fix all the known issues with BE2010.

MesutGazi
Not applicable
Finally resolved this issue.

Just change 'Region and Language > Administrative > Language for non-Unicode Programs' to 'English (United States)'