cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Speed

David_Knight
Level 4
I am having issues with the speed of the backup. I maybe way of mark here, however it seems that after I run a sql back at approx 1000mb/min and then try and run a normal backup the rate decreases to approx 13mb sec.

any ideas?
9 REPLIES 9

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
David

13 MB/sec are approximately 700 MB/min, which is a good rate for files. Usually SQL backups are faster than files backups.

Regards

David_Knight
Level 4
sorry when i said 13mb sec I meant 13mb a minute.

apologies.

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Is your tape backup attached to a dedicated scsi card or is it sharing a raid adapter?

David_Knight
Level 4
connected to its own scsi card.

When the sql bakup runs I get speeds of 1000MB min. When a normal backup runs I normally get 80 mb a minute. However on occasions the above happens and this is sometimes after a sql backup has run.

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Are you fully patched

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
That's really slow, indeed.

Are backing up a file system with lots of very small files?

That may be the cause.

KL_Wong
Not applicable
We actually have a very similar issue being the throughput is so slow. We disabled our antivirus software (Norton) realtime scanner not to scan backup files, and it seems to me it speed it up a bit. The next thing we are still working on is to defrag the disk, actually happening now and see if it makes any difference.

But at the end of the day, yes we do have a lot of small files to back up and this is reality. Are there any other options available to accomodate (speedup) this sort of environment, being a lot of small files ???

Rgds/KL

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
You could try using livestate to get all your files from various locations into one location then backup that single location.

David_Knight
Level 4
I maybe wrong on this but people receiving slow MB per min backup try stopping and stopping the services(which seems to work when I have done a sql backup and then try a normal babckup) if that fails reboot the backup exec server. Works everytime for me.

David