cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Unable to Open C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server?

McRaeman
Not applicable

I am in process of setting up Backup Exec 2010 Windows Servers on Windows Server 2003. The backup completes. However, I'm left with a list of errors and they all say the following : "unable to open the item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\Data\Mas" Should I elect to not backup the Microsoft SQL Server file located in the C: Drive on the server or is there another solution that I should do? Any help would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

You need a SQL agent to backup open SQL files. You may exclude the SQL folder from backups.

EDIT : .mdf and .ldf files are part of Active File exclusion list

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

You need a SQL agent to backup open SQL files. You may exclude the SQL folder from backups.

EDIT : .mdf and .ldf files are part of Active File exclusion list

I_T_Guy
Level 4

As AmolZeroCool said you will require SQL Agent to backup those .mdf and .ldf files. However if the files you are talking about are related to Backup Exec database then you can exclude it from your selection list as they anywhich way gets backed up by default at 4:00 A.M. . However if these files are related to another database that you may be running on your system and if you do not have a SQL agent, I would suggest you to exclude them from your selection list and schedule a backup of that database through SQL Management studio and backup the .bak files created by the SQL Management studio backups.