cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec V-Ray

mcoulter
Level 2

Still confused when I am seeing explanations for the V-Ray licensing.  So I offer my scenario if anyone doesn't mind helping me out.  

I will be running the software on a separate server than what I am backing up.  So I think I do not need any licensing for the server hosting the Backup Exec software.  

Then I have a server that has 1 CPU with 4 cores and Hyper-V.  I assume this is what I need the licensing for and that it doesn't matter how I divide the virtual servers up.  

So I should only need a license for 1CPU, correct?

8 REPLIES 8

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The server running the BE software requires the core BE license...

If you choose the V-Ray edition, this includes -

1 core BE license which would cover the server running the BE software

1 Agent for VMware or HyperV covering the HyperV host...It also includes the option of installing the remote agent in the virtual machines...(unlimited)

Deduplication Option

1 Agent for Applications and Databases for unlimited virtual machines as well...

Yes, you can consider the V-Ray edition though keep in mind, it does not contain any remote agent licenses for any physical systems.....else can also consider just the core BE license and the HyperV agent (plus any additional agents/options per req)

mcoulter
Level 2

Actually I think I have a change of plan so work with me through this:

The server hosting the Backup Exec software (I don't care about backing it up) has 1 CPU with 2 Cores (nothing virtual).  

The Hyper-V server, I am upgrading so it will have 2 CPU's with 4 cores each. 

VJware, you were saying I needed 1 core BE license.  Do you mean 1 CPU or 1 per core?

I think the rest of what you say would not change because even though I am adding 1 CPU to the Hyper-V server, it is covered by the 1 Agent license.

Correct?

VJware
Level 6

Core BE license (core as in core product) is required for the server where you install BE ir-respective of whether you plan to back it up or not...

The V-Ray edition is licensed per socket (or per CPU essentially the same thing)....So if you add up one more CPU, it requires an additional license...

mcoulter
Level 2

Got ya,

So I need:

1 core BE license which would cover the server running the BE software

2 Agent for VMware or HyperV covering the HyperV host...It also includes the option of installing the remote agent in the virtual machines...(unlimited)

VJware
Level 6

That's right :)

BanksyMJ
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi Mcoulter

If you go down the 'non V-Ray' route (as I believe you are describing above) you will also need an Agent for Applications and Databases for each of your virtual servers running one of the following:

• Active Directory
  • SQL
  • SharePoint
  • Exchange
  • Lotus Domino
  • Oracle
  • Enterprise Vault

It's important to bear this in mind when comparing against V-Ray & costing your backup solution.

Regards

mcoulter
Level 2

We are running most everything in the cloud here so all I am backing up is one virtual server that is the primary domain controller and another virtual server that is a file server.  So I guess I would just need 1 Agent for Applications or would I need 2 just because the Hyper-V is 2 Proc's?

BanksyMJ
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi Mcoulter

Your first assumption is correct. You would need just 1 Agent for Applications & Databases. I've outlined the two choices you have below. Which one you opt for really comes down to cost and future expansion.

Choice One - A la carte

In this choice you pick the precise licenses you need. Based on the description of your environment you will need One BE Core / Media Serve License ( I understand to be installed on a separate physical server). One Agent for VMware & Hyper-V, which covers your single virtual host. (And provides you with unlimited Agents for Windows). One Agent for Applications & Databases to cover your single VM Guest running as a DC.

Choice Two - V-Ray

These are licensed per socket (CPU). As you have two sockets (CPUs) you will need Two V-Ray licenses. Each of these Licenses include

• 1x BE Core/Media Server
  • 1x Agent for VMware & Hyper-V
  • Unlimited Agents for Windows
  • Unlimited Agent for Applications & Databases
  • 1x Deduplication License.

I'm guessing (although you will have to check with your reseller) that Choice Two will be more expensive. However it does have the advantage that if you were to create additional VMs running applications or databases you would already have the licenses to cover them. With Choice One you will need to purchase additional Agent for Applications & Databases licenses.

Regards