Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec and Exchange B2D Question

mquayle
Level 2
2 REPLIES 2

mquayle
Level 2
I have a problem and I am hoping someone can shed some light on it. I have a new installation on Windows Server 2008 64 bit and exchange 2007 and Backup Exec 12.5 with service pack 2 all on one server. I have two backup jobs created, both are setup almost identically. They back two filesystem volumes, system state, shadow copy components and microsoft information store in the same job. One backup job goes to tape and the other goes to a backup to disk which is on a usb hard drive that never gets removed. They are setup to run at non overlapping times. I have exchange GRT enabled on both. The tape backup works perfecty every night. The backup to disk fails with error:

Unable to attach to \\581EX1\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group.

V-79-57344-33932 - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again. If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource.

Unexpected end of backup set encountered on USB Hard Drive.

V-79-57344-34004 - End of data set was unexpectedly encountered.

V-79-57344-65055 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\581EX1\Microsoft Information Store\Second Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: No.

Snapshot provider error (0xE000FE1F): The device cannot be found.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

The backup skips exchange and goes on to backup system state and shadow copy components. I can edit the selection to only backup exchange and it works perfectly, I can edit the job to backup system state and volume shadow copy components and it works perfectly, if I have all three selected, it fails with the above error. To make things even more confusing on two occasions the backup to disk job with all components selected ran successfully at schedule without error. I will repeat, the tape job with all the components selected never fails, only the backup to disk job fails. Interesting thing to note is in the back to disk log I get this:

AOFO: Started for resource: "\\581EX1\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
The following volumes are dependent on resource: "C:" "F:" .
The snapshot provider used by VSS for volume C: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).
The snapshot provider used by VSS for volume F: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).

In the tape log i get this:

AOFO: Started for resource: "\\581EX1\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
The following volumes are dependent on resource: "C:" "F:" .
The snapshot provider used by VSS for volume C: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).
The snapshot provider used by VSS for volume F: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).
Network control connection is established between [::1]:21215 <--> [::1]:10000
Network data connection is established between [::1]:21222 <--> [::1]:21221

The tape job looks like it using the network for something, I have seen backup exec rely on the remote agent even when backing up itself, I don't know why it is an IPV6 address noted as I have disabled that from the registry and done the fix from symantec where you remove it from the host file.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way this is a new software purchase and I have a support ID number but I cannot find any way to get proper support from Symantec, I found an email support thing somewhere but it said they don't do support for this software or something. Seems like Symantec are making it as hard as possible for you to ask for help.

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The following link should help you contacting support:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/contact_techsupp_static.jsp