cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec and Hyper-V

Demz
Level 4

Hi,

I have one Windows Server 2008 R2  with Hyper-V role and Backup Exec 2010 R3 is running in this server too. If I install virtual machines in this Hyper-V can I just install Remote Agent to this virtual machine and back it up normally or do I need a Hyper-V license for BE?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rachet
Not applicable
Employee Accredited

If you spin up several guest machines, then you'll need to purcahse basic agents (RAWS) for each guest machine.  Again, this is providing a "traditional" backup (as if they were physical) and does not provide "Disaster Recovery" of the .VHD file.  You're limiting what can be backed up with this approach. 

If you purchase the Hyper-V agent you are also intitled to an unlimited number of basic agents (RAWS) for that host machine.   This means you can now backup at the host level the entire .VHD file and still have GRT restores (install remote agent before performing a host level backup.  This is a "one pass" backup of the host, but the ability to restore the entire guest machine and/or a single file from within the guest machine). 

Purchasing the Hyper-V agent allows you to spin up additional machines as your needs grow, but eliminates the need to purcahse additional basic agents for that specific Hyper-V Host machine.

I hope this helps-

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

If you install remote agent on all guest machines on hyperv that would be raws based backup

& Yes if you purchase hyperv license then you can backup that as whole VHD & with hyperv license you also get GRT feature were you can do normal file restore from a VHD or you can also do APP GRT backup by which you can backup application like exchange ,sql on guest machine

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you just install RAWS then you can only back up the VM's as if they are physical machines.  However, if you have the Hyper-V licence, then you can back them up as VM's

Rachet
Not applicable
Employee Accredited

If you spin up several guest machines, then you'll need to purcahse basic agents (RAWS) for each guest machine.  Again, this is providing a "traditional" backup (as if they were physical) and does not provide "Disaster Recovery" of the .VHD file.  You're limiting what can be backed up with this approach. 

If you purchase the Hyper-V agent you are also intitled to an unlimited number of basic agents (RAWS) for that host machine.   This means you can now backup at the host level the entire .VHD file and still have GRT restores (install remote agent before performing a host level backup.  This is a "one pass" backup of the host, but the ability to restore the entire guest machine and/or a single file from within the guest machine). 

Purchasing the Hyper-V agent allows you to spin up additional machines as your needs grow, but eliminates the need to purcahse additional basic agents for that specific Hyper-V Host machine.

I hope this helps-