cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec and Stand alone tape drive

Selvum
Level 3

Hi.

I am running Backup exec version 12 (OS: Windows 2003 R2). To my server I have a stand alone tape drive (Dell PowerVault 110T LTO3) connected. From backup exec to tape drive, no commands work (inventory etc).

I have since physically removed this tape drive from the system (all cables discnnected). The strange thing is that backup exec still see this tape drive and says that it's in use and online. How come and why!!!!!!!!   To me backup exec should say "Cannot find / connect to tape drive or something to that effect".

Because of this, I'm not suppecting anything wrong with the tape drive.

Please assist.........any ideas.

Many Thanks

Selvum Moodley

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Selvum
Level 3

Hello All.

I ran the tape diagnostic tool and the result statued "PASSED" - seems like the tape drive is okay. I then opened BE and under DEVICES, I deleted the stand alone tape drive. I then rebooted the server and the stand alone tape drive re-appeared.

DId inventory and tried various other functions with the stand alone tape drive and all works fine. I am currently running a backup to this tape drive and it seems like its working.........will check when backup completes.

Seems like my problem has been resolved.

Many thanks for your guys assistance........much appreciated.

Regards

Selvum Moodley

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hello Selvum,

The simplest way to rule out issues with your Tape Device would be to make use of the Windows NT backup and check if all the operations are successful. 

Note: Backup Exec would fetch all the details using the Windows Device Manager. Once you disconnect the device, please check the Windows Device Manager. 

You may also want to refer to the following link to troubleshoot the issue: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24414

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

The simplest way to rule out issues with your tape drive is to use the correct tape tools diagnostic utility. Windows NT isn't going to report much. The diagnostic utility is going to tell you directly if you have an issue with the drive or not.

You need to see the make of tape drive you have as per the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH176521

There is also a hardware wizard that you can run within BE itself to remove old/unused tape drives. Run this and check to see if the drive has been removed.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you remove a device from the machine, the OS does not report this to BE and hence its status will remain unchanged.  When you actually try to use the device with BE, then BE will know that it is not there.

Selvum
Level 3

Hello pkh.

Thanks to all for your replies.

I removed the device and then rebooted the server. Then I opened up BE and I am able to switch the device from offline to online. When you click on the tape drive, BE states that the device is in use. 

Exactly my point.........why does BE not detect that there is no longer a device connected to the server?

Thanks and Regards

Selvum Moodley

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...have you tried to run the Device Configuration Wizard to remove he drive?

You can also try to Pause the server under Devices within BE, and then delete the drive.

If this doesn't work, you might have to log a call with Symantec and ask them to remove it manually from the BEDB.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
As I said before the OS does not notify BE and BE does not constantly check the status is each backup device. Anyway you do not want BE to constantly check device status and use unnecessary CPU cycles

Selvum
Level 3

Hello All.

I ran the tape diagnostic tool and the result statued "PASSED" - seems like the tape drive is okay. I then opened BE and under DEVICES, I deleted the stand alone tape drive. I then rebooted the server and the stand alone tape drive re-appeared.

DId inventory and tried various other functions with the stand alone tape drive and all works fine. I am currently running a backup to this tape drive and it seems like its working.........will check when backup completes.

Seems like my problem has been resolved.

Many thanks for your guys assistance........much appreciated.

Regards

Selvum Moodley