cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec changed its mind regarding Exchange credentials

Not applicable
I recently upgraded from version 8.6 to version 10 in preperation for upgrading to Windows 2003 SBS.

The previous version did not have Exchange support and the new version does so I configured the backups.

All Exchange services are started with "System Account"

Backup exec services are started with user "zBackup", this user is a Full administrator on the exchange system and has full administrator and domain admin rights.

After reading all the articles on setting up Exchange backup, I finally managed to get the credentials "tested" in B Exec and the backup ran fine for a couple of weeks backing up Exchange fine.

After a reboot a couple of days ago, B Exec refuses to backup Exchange and is now "Access Denied" on the test for credentials.

I am the system manager and only I can change permissions/password. They have not been changed for any user or account.

zBackup is a unique alias and the account has a tested mailbox.

Backup Exec changed its mind and decided to stop backing up.

I must say that I am becoming less and less enamoured with Backup Exec. From the early days as a reliable backup package, version 9 and 9.1 have given me nothing but unresolvable problems (latest "Unabel to query Writer Status" for no resolvable reason) and I am begining to wish that I was a Postman.

Help !
4 REPLIES 4

Mani_2
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly perform the following to resolve the error "Access Denied to Mailbox".

1. Create a new user account for eg) vrtsbkup and its mailbox

2. Assign Admin and Domain Admin rights(Backup Operator rights not required)

3. Assign the exchange full Admin rights from Exchange System Manager

4. Assign it local Admin rights on Exchange Server

5. Send email to this account and check if the email is received

6. Go to network>logon accounts, create a logon account for vrtsbkup

7. Right click on mailboxes and select connect as and type in the user name vrtsbkup and its password

8. Also ensure that the BackupExec Services account has the following rights.
i) Act as part of the Operating System
ii) Backup Files and Directories
iii)Create a Token Object
iv) Manage Auditing and Security Log
v) Restore Files and Directories

Related Documents
===============

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/242606.htm

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/256313.htm

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/262135.htm

Hope this helps.

Level 2
Mani, I'm afraid this doesn't work.

The account I already have, zBackup, has all the attributes required (I have double and triple checked) and I have tested thoroughly mailbox functionality.

Some of the attributes against the user account were indeed missing but even after setting these and rebooting (just in case) the zBackup account still get access denied when accessing the Exchange system.

There are two users listed with full Exchange administrator priv's on the Exchange server, zBackup and another admin account.

The backups are fine apart from exchange and the backups were working fine for a couple of weeks until the system was rebooted. No user changes were made between the backup exec successful config and the reboot - nobody but I can do that.

It would be really useful if Veritas software put up an error message as to why it could not connect! All these settings can be tested and trapped when not present and the user could be given some useful information as to why the access was denied rather that the user list repeatedly being shown until the user stumbles on an acceptable user.

Are there any diagnostics? There should be!

This is frustrating as hell, its always the exchange module that causes me grief.

jON

Level 2
I think that I have discovered the root cause but this is the first time that I have seen any reference to this problem. Just by chance I happened upon another user having problems with Exchange who mentioned that the backup user should NOT set to be hidden from the GAL.

This made all the difference. My user had hidden the zbackup user from the Global Address list (who is this zbackup person anyway????) and that caused the problem.

Strange thing is, I have seen NO reference to this issue other than reading through the forum on the offchance.

Surely this should be a part of the standard set of instructions for setting up backup for Exchange.

It must be, without doubt, the most obvious thing .. the user will hide items from the address book to keep it tidy. It doesn't stop us being able to send/receive for that mailbox.

Why does backup exec have a problem with this?

I still think that this could have been a lot less hassle if Veritas gave a little more information back to us about what the problem is. Making a piece of software so complicated that it is necessary to have certification exams to work with it may appear to be be good for the prestige of a product but does little to instill confidence in the software.

As a developer of software myself, I would feel that I was letting my user down to provide a list of usernames to use and then to just keep redisplaying the list until the software was happy with the selection without letting them know why their previous selections were unacceptable.

jON

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
We would like to mention you the following.

In the Exchange Administrator, under Site, Recipients will display all mailboxes except for the hidden ones. Similarly, VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) will only back up mailboxes it is able to view, that is, the mailboxes that are displayed in the Recipients container.

If a mailbox is hidden from the Global Address List (GAL), Backup Exec will be unable to view the mailbox. Therefore, the mailbox needs to be made available to the GAL if it needs to be protected by Backup Exec.

To protect hidden mailboxes, it is necessary to back up/restore the Microsoft Exchange Information Store.

-----------------------------------------------------

Veritas has documented this information in the form of Technote as given below.

Title:- How to remove the "Hidden" attribute from Exchange 2000 and Exchange 2003 mailboxes so that the mailboxes will be available to the Global Address List for backup purposes

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/243328.htm

As we know that your issue is solved, We apologize for the inconvience caused due to this particular issue.