cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec client on remote site

Dustynet
Level 2

Hi All,

Im just taking over the backup management for our business and wanted to check we are making the best use of what we have for a given backup. 

We have backup exec 2014 running on Server 2012 which is happily backing up lots of our systems on a daily basis.  We also have a remote site which we connect to via a 100Mb MPLS link.  On this site we have a file server with around 30GB of data.  Currently this remote server has the BE agent deloyed and we are running a Friday night full backup to disk job over this link. 

This job is running for 42-44 hrs each weekend.

My question is, is there any way, using the backup exec client we can obtain better utilisation of this link / reduce the data / time taken for this backup?  For example leverage any client side compression or dedupe?

Im expecting a "Nothing can be done" response to be honest, but I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing any magic bells and whistles before I resign myself to accepting this.

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4

Jarzamendia
Level 4

Hi,

Is possible use client-side deduplication in your environment?

This would reduce the amount of data sent over the network.

Dustynet
Level 2

Thanks for that.  Care to elaborate?

My question is, is there any way, using the backup exec client we can obtain better utilisation of this link / reduce the data / time taken for this backup? 

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Unless you're looking at deduplication with client-side dedupe as mentioned above, your only other option is to license BE on the remote site, and backup locally there. This obviously means spending cash on additional backup hardware and licenses, and possibly a media server.

Thanks!

Jarzamendia
Level 4

If you use a deduplication disk in your BE Midia Server you can configure yours RAWS (client) to do the data deduplication and obtain a reduced amount of data to cross the network. 

I don't know other methods to do that in other way.