cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec for remote sites - Questions

clamped_it
Level 2

Currently I have 1 BE 2012 server backing up my central datacenter to a local tape library. We are looking at purchasing several Data Domain devices and moving away from tape. We have 2 remote sites that have servers we need to protect but have very limited bandwidth. If we were to put a Data Domain device at those locations, could we use our current BE server to backup those servers to the Data Domain devices there and not pass the data through our WAN? What licenses would this require? 

2 REPLIES 2

teiva-boy
Level 6

You must have a BackupExec instance in EACH remote site, with a DataDomain as well.

Then you can use the DataDomain replication to replicate those remote sites back to your data center.

The DataDomain is very bandiwdth efficient, and a magnitiude more efficient than BackupExec's own dedupe and replication.

Optionally, you can add Symantec's dedupe, BOOST, and CASO to manage it all centrally, and get a performance boost (no pun intended)

clamped_it
Level 2

So I cannot have just one BE Server instance? I have to have one at each site? If I have to have one instance at each site, what advanteges would CASO give me?