cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec for windows server 9.1

Level 2
Hello dear,

After some frustration, i managed to solve the OFO error with help from this fabulous forum.My platform is Windows 2000 server +SP4.

Other problems in the queue:

1) The pre job command and the post job commands do not run at all. I tried many times, even with a simple job with a pre job command to run the mspaint.exe, but to no avail. any helpful hints in this regard, knowing that my operating system task schedule is working proplerly.

2) Some Backup jobs are hanging if setup manually (just displaying "pre processing" on the job monitor - no pre job commands inserted). However the same job is successful if posted & setup through the backup job wizard. Any reason why?

3) When i backup the system state, the software logs it as backed up the system?state. is this normal and restorable if my server crashes?

4) What does it mean " backing up system volume information"?

5) You cannot cancel a job if running, Is there a way to FORCE " cancellation of a job" please advise?

Best regards.
3 REPLIES 3

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
In answers to your questions..

1. pre and post job commands must be in a batch file, and the commands must return inside that batch file - I will explain..
Create a batch file, put in mspaint.exe - run the batch file - what happens? mspaint opens, but the batch file itself is still open - close mspaint and the batch file closes.

Create another batch file - put in - net use - run the batch file - you will find the batch files closes straight away.

For the BE pre-post commands to work, they must be like the second example given above - hope that makes sense.

2. Jobs hanging in pre-processing are usually a sign that the Open File Option is trying to take a snapshot - if using AOFO, the default for the time-out is 33 minutes - if after this time the snapshot hasn't been made, the backup will still continue on.

3. That is normal, will alway be System?State.

4. Backing up System Volume Information - is exactly that - it is backing up the System Volume Information directory

5. If a job doesn't cancel - the only way to do this is to try and stop the BE services. That being said, most probably the Job Engine service will not stop.
The way around this is to try one of the following:
- Using task manager - try and End Task on the bengine.exe process
- User the windows resource kit kill command ie. kill
- drwtsn32 -p
You can find the PID from Task Manager.

Once Job Engine is stopped, the other services should stop without issues.

anoop_nair_2
Level 6
Hi,

Try the steps mentioned in the previous thread and let us know if you face any issue.

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi ,

We presume that the issue has been resolved.