cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec fpr Small Business Server

Not applicable
I would like to know if Backup Exec for Small Business server will backup a Quickbooks database? I have the Quiickbooks database file on the server and have the users accessin the file through file sharing. The backup program that I'm currently using tells me that the file is locked. I assume that it is because someone has the file open. I'm looking to purchase Backup Exec to solve this problem. Please let me know if anyone knows about the issue.
2 REPLIES 2

Jamie_Tatum
Level 4
Backup Exec as it operates out of the box will attempt to lock the file before backing it up. This is to ensure that the file is not being written to by the application. You can disable that behavior in the backup window but you could end up in a situation where as we are reading data from the file, the application writes to the same file causing the data on tape to be corrupt. In other words, the file wouldn't be readable after a restore.

There are a few solutions to this issue available to IT administrators. The first is our open file option. The software takes a "snapshot" of the drive before beginning a backup. The snapshot is a "picture" of your drive from a given point in time. The data is backed up from the snapshot rather than from the live data so there is no problem with file locks. OFO is pretty easy to install and use - just add the serial number to Backup Exec and check the use OFO checkbox in your backup jobs. Generally no additional configuration is needed.

The second option is to use Backup Exec's pre- and post-commands to start a batch file that will shut down Quickbooks before the backup starts. VERITAS Support doesn't assist with scripting but it should be possible to shut down Quickbooks from a script.

anoop_nair_2
Level 6
Hi,

I suggest you follow the backup procedure outlined in the QuickBook's website:
http://www.quickbooks.com/support/faqs/qbw2002/200756.html
http://www.quickbooks.com/support/faqs/qbw2001/117477.html