cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec looking at Incorrect Location for Exchange Store

mbunton
Level 2

I inherited a network that has an Exchange server running with the information store located on an external hard drive.

When I try to run a backup of Exchange through BackupExec, the backup fails because it says it cannot find the information store.

So looking up information about where BackupExec is looking for the Information Store, it is looking in:

\\servername\Microsoft Information Store\Public Folder Database 1234567890\

Where hte actual location is:

e:\Microsoft\Exchange\mailbox\first storage group\ etc.....

So I am haivng difficulty in finding where I can actually point BackupExec to look in the right location so the backup process can complete as it should.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you tried recreating the selection list or the backup job ?

It could be possible the backup job has an old reference or possilbe job corruption...to rule out such a possibility, try recreating a new selection list / job.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Are you using the agent or trying to do a flat-file backup?

If using the agent, trying adding the server in via IP address in a selection list, and then select the Information Store directly before running a backup.

Thanks!

mbunton
Level 2

Here is the specific error that I am getting:

V-79-57344-34070 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS). Snapshot provider error (0xE0008516): Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details. V-79-57344-34070 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS). Snapshot provider error (0xE0008516): Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

You don't mention your version of Exchange or OS, but check the TNs out below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH167571

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH139744

If you are using AOFO in the job, turn it off, or split your jobs up as per the article below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/backing-databases-and-files-same-tape-separate-jobs-using-backup-exec

Thanks!

mbunton
Level 2

Yes, my apologies - I am using Backup Exec 2010 R3 and Windows Server 2008.  BE is installed on the server I am trying to backup.

I also wanted to add that the only purpose of this server is to host Exchange - there are no other files or items stored on the server that we are trying to backup.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you tried recreating the selection list or the backup job ?

It could be possible the backup job has an old reference or possilbe job corruption...to rule out such a possibility, try recreating a new selection list / job.

mbunton
Level 2

I did find the location of where the backup job was looking for the Exchange datastore files by creating a new job - my apologies for being a bit slow on this since I am new using the software but glad I was able to get it corrected - my backup is running now.

Thanks for the assistance everyone!