cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec migration from Windows 2003 server to Windows 2008 server

ultan
Level 4
As the title says, is this possible? I am not using windows server 2008 R2 so backup exec should be supported on windows server 2008 R1.
But I cant find a KB article lays out the steps for this.

Anything major I should be aware off?

Oh I am using version 12.5

Thanks,
Ultan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Correct. As long as you have the tapes and the steps are followed as mentioned in the document, your data is safe.

Thanks

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
yup i think the migration is possible ...i have performed it couple of times ...refer the following document http://support.veritas.com/docs/319367

ultan
Level 4
Thanks,

I found that too but it says not to use this document if you are migrating from 2 different versions of windows.
So I guess I can ignore this or is there something I need to watch out for?

Thanks,
Ultan 

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
There is really not much to do with operating system versions, you can safely ignore that statement and follow the steps documented. the only thing to keep in mind is the the source and the target OS must be supported by the version of Be being migrated. In your case yes, windows 2008 is supported version with BE 12.5, so should not be a problem.

Thanks

ultan
Level 4
THanks for that. Is there any issues with migrating to a new server AND at the same time migrating media to a new tape library? We will not be using the old tape library.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Library is totally irrelevant as long as the tapes are understood by new library. Backup Exec would recognize your data by tapes and not by library, to put it in a simple way. So, go ahead and use the old tapes with new library, if the hardware supports it, BE would also be able to read data in them.

Please mark it a solutoin, if it is useful.
Thanks

ultan
Level 4
Thanks. So in effect the historical data on these tapes will be recognised regardless so long as the steps detailed in the KB is followed.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6

Correct. As long as you have the tapes and the steps are followed as mentioned in the document, your data is safe.

Thanks

ultan
Level 4
This works perfectly so far.

One thing though. I havea  Redhat linux box that I need to point to the new media server. How does one go about this?
I had a look online and didnt see much. This is a non gui box so will need to be reconfigured via the command line.
I suppose one needs to stop the backup server (whatever the name of that is) edit the config file and restart the server.

Any KB article out there?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I have a  Redhat linux box that I need to point to the new media server. How does one go about this?

You would need to purchase a RALUS (Remote Agent for Linux/Unix  Systems) license, install the serial on the media server and the client on the RedHat abox

ultan
Level 4
Yea I have that already......

It is already install I just need to point it to the new server.
Surely I dont need to reinstall it?

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
You will need to update ralus.cfg file to include the name of media server responsible for its backup. Following document may help:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/299713
Although uninstall and reinstall would take care of it, if you specify media server name appropriately during install.

Thanks

ultan
Level 4
Yea cheers for that. I found that before you posted it, tried it out but ran into trouble.

I changed the ip address of the media server in the ralus.cfg file but comes up with this error.

Final error: 0xe000846b - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.  If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource.

This is strange as a test run works fine but a normal backup doesnt work