cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec migration with SSO

rdeshields
Level 4

We need to rebuild our backup server to correct an issue with the Operating System. We are running Backup Exec with 2 servers running SSO on a WIndows 2008 R2 server. We found a document (Article ID: TECH67768) which indicates that Backup Exec cannot be migrated if SSO is installed and configured but it does not give a reason why or another way to migrate Backup Exec. How can we backup our Backup Exec configuration and rebuild out backup server so that it is configured the same after rebuilding the server?

Thank You,
Rick
2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Rick,

Generally you would look at backing up your BE SQL instance if you have the SQL agent, and then the Data + Catalogs folder. If you don't have the SQL agent, the Data folder would contain a .bak file that would be a nightly dump of it anyway.

For good measure, I would suggest taking a backup of your registry, and if you cannot, just export the keys for BE that are listed. You MIGHT also want to back up the installation directory (Program Files, or wherever else you put it), but I have yet to see a need for this to get BE working again.

Laters!

rdeshields
Level 4

The article that I referenced states that we cannot simply backup Backup Exec and migrate it with SSO installed and configured. The article seems to indicate that we would need to do a clean build of Backup Exec but it does not say why or if we could do it if we uninstalled SSO and the other SSO servers.