cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec only using half of tape size

Backup_Admin1
Level 2

Hi all,

I am using Backup exec 8.6 which I know is well old but until now it has been perfect for us.

We are using a HP LTo 2 drive with a 200/400gb capactiy but the backup is asking for another tape after 322 odd gig. The tape is set to hardware or software compression but it wont use the full tape.

Can anyone give me some suggestions to check and look?

Many thanks,

Simon

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Technically 200GB is the native size and there is no guarantee that 400GB will ever be achievable as compression is not a fixed result it depends on whether what is being backed up is compressible.

As such you may need to look at larger storage technologies

Backup_Admin1
Level 2

Thanks for your reply.

We have a number of the same drives using the same tapes and they all seem to be backing up more than this one drive..

Cheers,
Simon

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Open up BE and go to the Devices tab...check the drive for Hard Write Errors. If there are, it could indicate a possible hardware issue.

Either way, download and install HP library and Tape Tools (HP LTT). Stop the BE services, and once done, run the diagnostics against the drive (including the Device Self Test) to verify whether or not you have hardware problems...

Thanks!

Backup_Admin1
Level 2

Thanks,

I have ran tape tools and the drive is reporting as "good" so doesn't appear to be any problems. I am going to try a number of new tapes to see if it makes any difference but failingt that guess it is what it is.

Thanks for your help.
Simon