cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec puts tape back in library with more jobs to run

DASFTP
Level 4

Hello,

Recently our duplication to tape backups have been slower. There are 180+ backup to tape jobs that are running and scheduled. All of them are differential jobs writing to the same media type in our HP MSL4048 tape library. We have three LTO6 tape drives in our library. It appears there are times when Backup Exec finishes a backup, puts the tape back in its slot in the library, then picks the same tape up again and starts writing the next job to it.  This obviously takes a fair amount of time for each job.  Is there a setting that may have accidentally changed in Backup Exec that tells it not to continue writing to the tape? It should know there are a bunch of jobs scheduled to run that are "Ready; No writable idle devices are available"? Usually the tape drives keep the tape in the drive until the tape is full.

Any ideas,

Thanks,

DASFTP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   
3 REPLIES 3

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Thank you Larry for having a better memory than me! I have looked at the registry settings and the settings are still correct from the previous change in March of 2015.  I will also look at making the adjustment in BEUtility as well, once the backup server has completed last nights backup jobs. Thanks again for your help.

DASFTP

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Are you saying that the registry is currently set to 120 seconds and you are still having this issue of excess dismounts & mounts?

If so, then may try 180 seconds, or else there is something else going on?

BEutility is just the user-friendly way of making the same adjustment, for those that prefer not to edit the registry manually.