cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec v12 Evaluation - Can't Browse to Sharepoint Server- Access Denied?

shawnpoint
Level 3
Hello All -

About a week ago I installed a trial copy of BackUp Exec for Windows v12 with SharePoint + SQL Server options. On our test lab we have one SQL 2005 as the backend for SharePoint.  One web server for all SharePoint services.  Everything seems to be configured correctly in NTLM mode and is working --able to browse portal sites, do Central Admin, index, etc.  MOSS2007 is running on top of Windows 2003 Server SP1 also acting as a file server.  By the way, all of these are in an ESX Virtual machine environment.

The problem:

Backup Exec is installed on a separate server W2k3 SP1 using its own MSDE a the database.  In the Backup Exec when trying to browse the SharePoint selection servers it just pauses and then nothing came back.  When trying to add the Sharepoint server I get this error back:

'Failed to access  Farm Server 1 (SP-Server1)' ;
Logon Account: System Logon Acccount
'Access is denied'

What I have verified & tried:

1)   Reset the logon account password. The account is a Domain Admin account
2)   Tried with a different User Account that I know have both the SQL DB access as well as Sharepoint access.
3)   Installed Backup Exec 12 right onto the Sharepoint Web-App server - Same exact error.
4)   Checked that I am able to ping, browse, connect to the SP-Server1 (sharepoint server) using commandline & Explorer.
5)   Pulled my hair on this one....

So if Symantec can be so kind to look into this.  We have our production Sharepoint environment up and running currently we can only backup using the standard stsadm.exe method - which does NOT offer granular recovery and it sucks.  We would like to use something like BackUp Exec 12 which it claimed that GRT is there for that.  I realized this was an issue with v11D and there was a hot fix #34 for it.  I would expected that v12 is fixed Also I realized that there are currently 5 different users posted very similar situation on v12 on this forum alone.  Symantec Support - Wake up!! Shed any light on this anyone? 

Thanks.

-TheLazyAdministrator
6 REPLIES 6

moorken
Level 3
We have also installed Backup Exec 12 last week, and since 1 week we have the sharepoint option installed.
Currently we are experiencing exactly the same problem as mentionned above.  the domain administrator account is not recognized by backupexec......

Minnesota_Steve
Not applicable
I am having a similar problem with Backup Exec 11d. I am using the farm administrator account and can't get the SharePoint agent to authenticate.

Any solution, suggestions, or troubleshooting tips would be appreciated.

mpapier
Level 3
Same thing is happening to me. I can expand the farm and view the following:

ConfigurationV3-DB, Glbal Settings, SharedServices1 - I can successfully select these items to include in the backup selection list

Signle Sign-on: Cannot select this databse. keep getting access denied despite the user having dbowner rights to the database

Windows SharePoint Services Search, Windows SharePoint Services Web Application, WSS_Administration: I can check these to include in the backup temporarily. As soon as I click OK to save my changes, close out of the selection list and then return again, they are once again unchecked.

moorken
Level 3
for version 11d i found this article,  so i'm affraight the problem will still be there in version 12...

the article states that
Symantec Corporation has acknowledged that the above-mentioned issue is present in the current version(s) of the product(s) mentioned at the end of this article. Symantec Corporation is committed to product quality and satisfied customers.
This issue is currently under investigation by Symantec Corporation. Pending the outcome of the investigation, this issue may be resolved by way of a patch or hotfix in current or future revisions of the software. However, this particular issue is not currently scheduled for any release. If you feel this issue has a direct business impact for you and your continued use of the product, please contact your Symantec Sales representative or the Symantec Sales group to discuss these concerns. For information on how to contact Symantec Sales, please see  http://www.symantec.com/
this is already an article from may 2007 so i don't expect them to find a sollution? Especially "However, this particular issue is not currently scheduled for any release." gives me a "they don't care" feeling.
this GRT backup of our sharepoint is important to us,  i've contacted already support through our sales manager but didn't receive a response yet.

mpapier
Level 3
Verify that the Microsoft Single Sign On service is started not only on your web servers, but also on your database server. Verify also that you arent backing up the databse using your SQL agent - unselect it from under your database server.

moorken
Level 3
Hello, 
i think i solved the problem on our server,  actually it was very stupid,  to solve the problem, all we did was browsing under the "normal backups" to our sharepoint server in our domain, from the moment we clicked this server open we received a message that we should use the sharepoint instance of backup exec and that the server was now added under the MS sharepoint server farm,  and since that moment we were able to open the server under the sharepoint server farm and select the necessary items... maybe symantec can have a look at this sollution, since their KB still says its a "known problem without sollution"
regards