Did you mean: 

Backup Exec vague error messages, services stopping

Paul_Mattingly
Level 2
Hi

I have the following setup

Veritas Backup Exec 10.0.5520.8
Windows Server 2003 with most hotfixes but not SP1

Veritas was installed through a Remote Desktop Admin session.

Backup-to-disk jobs have been running fine for a couple of months but now the VBE services are just stopping for no reason and the jobs fail. A restart of the system clears the problem, but it soon comes back. The event logs are not very informative as no specific error number is given. Here is an extract

Faulting application bengine.exe, version 10.0.5520.8, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000. Event ID 1000

Faulting application beserver.exe, version 10.0.5520.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000. Event ID 1000

Reporting queued error: faulting application bengine.exe, version 10.0.5520.8, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000. Event ID 1004

Reporting queued error: faulting application beserver.exe, version 10.0.5520.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000. Event ID 1004

It feels more like an OS issue than an application issue. I may try SP1 and the rest of the hotfixes.

The support website is excellent, but when you dont have an error message to search on!! :|

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Paul
4 REPLIES 4

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As Backup exec services are stopping randomly, click on the BE eservice and try to start it.It will give the exact error message?

Backup Exec services are running under which account?

Have you installed any third party application on the same server?

This issue occurs if the "Tobit David Infocenter Email Client" is installed on the system. The David Infocenter Client will automatically be assigned as the default email client during the installation.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Paul_Mattingly
Level 2
Hi, thanks for the reply

When i restart the backup engine service from windows service manager, the service just comes back to life with no error messages. And i cannot use the Veritas service control until its started so cant get any error info from there either

The backup services run under the network administrator account

I just have a clean install of windows server 2003 with a Symantec 8.1 corporate edition antivirus client. That is it, the server has nothing else installed

thanks

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Please put the services in debug mode and check the error message.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/254212

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Aaron_Hampton
Level 3
hello,

I have a similar problem. Specifically, the BE Server service shuts down when I launch Test Runs. Where can I find the results for the debugging?

Thanks.