cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Fails on Corrupt Outlook Archive PST File

NCI508
Level 2

We are running Backup Exec 11d Build 7170.  We store end-user Outlook email archives on one of our servers running Windows Server 2003 R2.  After we upgraded our client computers to Microsoft Office 2010 Professional and converted all pst files (including the archive files) to UNICODE, our backups are now failing.  The Backup Exec job log file lists all the Outlook archive files as corrupt.  We never had this problem in the past, so I suspect that it was the conversion of the Outlook archive files to UNICODE which is causing backup to fail.  Is there a way to configure Backup Exec or a Registry setting which could resolve this problem?

3 REPLIES 3

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you enabled AOFO for the archive backups.

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

Backup exec Does not have special way to read the PST file. It reads that as a normal Flat file wich is in Use.

Where exactloy do You store the Archived Files (local storage) or remote storage( NAS share, SAN LUN...etc)

As its is 2008 R2 machine there is No need for to use AOFO , this will be automated by the OS for open files.

Pleas check if the Files reported is Listed in the restre selection (though it is reported as corupt File)and restore anc check if the file i readable , if so We could Provide You with the registry change to diable t corrupt file warning.

regards

ARP

NCI508
Level 2

We store our email archive pst files on one of our file servers which is running Windows 2003 R2 SP2.  Our servers are backed up each day at 1:00 AM when all client desktop and laptop computers are powered off.  We did not experience this problem prior to the upgrade to Outlook 2010 (from Outlook 2000) and the subsequent upgrade of the pst files from ANSI to Unicode. The archive files are working properly in Outlook 2010, so it is unlikely that they are corrupt files. The corrupt file error message is listed for both the backup step and the verify step in the backup log.  I have made the change in the registry to enable the backup not to fail if a corrupt file is encountered.  However, I am concerned that the email archive files are not backed up properly so they could be restored from the backup tape if that ever had to be done.  I am also concerned that the registry change I made will "mask" a problem with files which may actually be corrupt.