cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Issues - VMWare Cluster using pre+post commands.

db_1982
Level 3
All,

Product: Backup Exec 11d

We are experiencing intermittent failure from our VCB across our VMWare cluster. We are using pre and post commands configured within the backup job rather than GRT due to the version of Backup Exec. We have spoken to VMWare who are saying this is not a VM issue and to raise this with Symantec.

The problem appears as follows:
  • Intermittently jobs will fail with a zero byte count
  • Intermittently jobs will fail at random byte counts (2GB for example of a 700GB backup)
  • When we monitor a backup, we can see the snapshots being mounted successfully, but once again intermittently it seems to fail on various servers.
  • The backup log itself within BackupExec seems to be corrupt and locks up when we try and view it.
The whole thing seems very hit and miss and the end result is that we have intermittent backup performance.

When I run our pre command manually within a dos shell:

[2010-07-26 10:47:23.052 'vcbMounter' 4720 error] Error: Error while opening dis
k blklst://snapshot-16002[SAN Storage 1] SERVER01/SERVER01-000010.vmdk@server
vc.child.domain.csn:443?xxxx/xxxx: A virtual disk could not be opened. -- Cannot ope
n disk file: Error : Disk library failed (Unspecified error). Unable to open 'bl
klst://snapshot-16002[SAN Storage 1] SERVER01/SERVER01-000010.vmdk@server
id.domain.csn:443'. Failed to configure disk scsi1:0.
[2010-07-26 10:47:23.052 'vcbMounter' 4720 error] An error occurred, cleaning up
Deleted directory D:\mnt\server01
failed to prepare server01 for backup, PrepareForBackup() returned  error 1
External command failed. See error above.
Exit Code: 1

Using vcbmounter with a fullvm, we are able to successfully create and mount a snapshot on the VC and the mount point to the VCB itself.

Another question I have.. When a backup is running and it hits corrupted or locked data, should the backup fail and then unmount all snapshots? We have monitored this and it appears to behave this way which seems nuts.

I would appreciate any advice or help!

Thanks in advance.
D

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

db_1982
Level 3
Update:

We have managed to move forward and resolve this error. The vmount2 service was stuck on the vcb. I have manually killed the service and restarted it and the pre-commands are now running all OK.

However I would appreciate it if my other points could be answered.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

db_1982
Level 3
Update:

We have managed to move forward and resolve this error. The vmount2 service was stuck on the vcb. I have manually killed the service and restarted it and the pre-commands are now running all OK.

However I would appreciate it if my other points could be answered.

Thanks.