cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Job will not use Scratch Media

Lee_Boaman
Level 3
I have several backup jobs set to "Append to media, overwite if none available".

It is my understanding that when I erase a tape, the default media group for the tape to be set to is Scratch, and this is where my media is going, fine.

But when the job is run, it always prompts with a "Please insert media request -- please insert overwriteable media". I thought that Scratch media is overwritable? Looking at the media description of the tape, Overwrite protection: Overwritable.

Once I move the tape to a Media Group 1, out of Scratch, the job runs fine.

Any help would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What you describe is what is supposed to happen.

If (without moving the tape out of scratch) you do an inventory, does the tape info show in blue or black?

One more thing. If the tapes are re-used on a schedule, you can set the OPP so that when a tape is due to be re-used, the protection has expired (6 days for weeklies, 13 for every other week, etc) Then make sure that the Global overwrite (Tools\Options\Media Management) is set to "use overwriteable media in target media set before scratch media) and you should not need to erase tapes manually.

Do you always "Append, else Overwrite" Generally one sets an overwrite to run one night a week and second to append on the others.

Lee_Boaman
Level 3
When I do an inventory, the tape info shows Blue. This is the same result whether the media is placed in Scratch or Media Set.

How do you access the OPP? The 'use overwriteable media in target media set before scratch media' is checked. I suppose overwriting is the best way to operate, for some reason I always thought it would be best to erase each tape before backup.

'Append, else Overwrite' is set on most of my backup jobs.

Lee_Boaman
Level 3
OPP -- Overwrite Protection Policy

For some reason, I didn't pick that out. My tapes are reused monthly and OPP is set to 4 weeks, so I should be ok there. I will start overwriting rather than erasing.

Thanks