cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Larger than Source

Matt_R
Not applicable

Hello,

My organization is using BackUp Exec 12 and have noticed that on more than one occasion our weekly backup is actually larger than the source data that it is backing up.

For instance, last week, we backed up 821 GB of data.  Upon reviewing the job, we noticed that the backup consumed 2 full tapes and a partial of a 3rd tape, which we have never experienced before, totaling just over 840 GB.  389 GB each on tapes 1 & 2,  and 62 GB on the 3rd tape. 

We do not use our weekly to backup our Exhange server, so I'm curious how the data actually grew in route to the backup tapes.

Any input would be great.

Thanks,

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are backing up compressed data like zipped files, sound and movie clips and has enabled compression, i.e. compressing data that is already compressed, you can end up with more data than you have started.  See my article below for an explanation.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/compression-short-explanation

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The 821 GB of data, does it also include logs like Exchange and SQL ?

Do you create GRT backups? Or do you backup the Exchange Information Store and Mailboxes individual ?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you have a system state and C: in the same job there is the possibility for a small amount of overlap - however you should regularly see this

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are backing up compressed data like zipped files, sound and movie clips and has enabled compression, i.e. compressing data that is already compressed, you can end up with more data than you have started.  See my article below for an explanation.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/compression-short-explanation