cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup SQL - databases with or without an agent?

Netsolo
Level 2
 Hi, 

Two servers, 
Server 1, Media server and server 2, a SQL server. 

Today there is a back up job running once a day in the Enterprise Manager backing up the db:s localy on server 2, the SQL-server. 

I suppose the correct way is to Backup exec with the SQL agent to back up the db:s.

But, my question is.... Is it possible to just back up the files from the Enterprise Manager  backup? 

Thanks,
N. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Well, just to set things correct, even SQL Agent will not be able to give you granular restores. But, you get the ability to design a central solution for backups, if you use Backup Exec SQL Agent. Tapes are better managed by Backup Exec, compared to Enterprise manager. And yes, it is a single pass backup and restore functionality. Also, Backup Exec provides a way to do automated master restore, which is unique to Backup Exec solution. Also Backup Exec can provide snapshot backups by using the SQL writer, wihch enterprise manager would not use. Apart from this, almost all types of backup supported by SQL are available from backup Exec. It is basically used for simplifying your backup aproach.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Yes, you can backup the files created by Enterprise manager using Backup Exec remote agent. So, identify the location where enterprise manager is sending the backup data. Backup that location by directly browsing through the file system in the selection list. This way you would have a two way restore process. during restore, you would first restore file and then use SQL to restore it further. SQL Agent would have an advantage in this regard, as there will be only a single stage restore.

Thanks

Netsolo
Level 2
 Thank you,

for your quick and precise answer Hemant Jain, 

Some thoughts, If I choose two backup the backup done by Enterprise Manager, what is the disadvantages? You just gave me the first answer, two way restore process, is there any more? 

I suppose its the same regarding other backups, for example backup done localy on a SMB server/Exchange etc, correct?  

Symanticus
Level 6
Well, from what I can see is that, you won't be able to restore to the most details (granular) eg. rows or table that has been deleted :-o)

That is why the agents are here to be purchased.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Well, just to set things correct, even SQL Agent will not be able to give you granular restores. But, you get the ability to design a central solution for backups, if you use Backup Exec SQL Agent. Tapes are better managed by Backup Exec, compared to Enterprise manager. And yes, it is a single pass backup and restore functionality. Also, Backup Exec provides a way to do automated master restore, which is unique to Backup Exec solution. Also Backup Exec can provide snapshot backups by using the SQL writer, wihch enterprise manager would not use. Apart from this, almost all types of backup supported by SQL are available from backup Exec. It is basically used for simplifying your backup aproach.

Thanks

Netsolo
Level 2
 Thank you for your answers and thoughts... 

Regards, N