Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Set Expiration Time

simonk27
Level 4

Environment:

Backup Exec 2012 SP1, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

Hi guys,

I did a full backup at 2012-09-06 11:15 PM and set it to keep the backup set for two weeks. So it has to expire at 2012-09-20 11:15 PM. But it won't. It will expire at 2012-09-21 01:51 AM. Why is that? I want it to expire at 23:15 PM.

Do you have an idea? Did I misconfigured it?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Simon

13 REPLIES 13

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The DLM process gets kicked off based on two factors...either it checks every 4 hours (this is the default interval) or whenever a low storage event is generated...Again, this DLM process would check the dependency of the backup sets and other criteria and then accordingly would groom the expired sets...

simonk27
Level 4

Thank you for your quick answer.

I do how the DLM process works. But I was asking something different.

I want it to expire the backup set exactly two weeks later and not two weeks later plus 2,5 hours.

Regards,

VJware
Level 6

Well, I was trying to explain that the DLM process does not kick off based on a backup set's expiration date...it kicks off on either of the two factors mentioned earlier...for egs - if the DLM process kicks off every 4 hours starting at 11am & there is a backup set which has expiration of 13.30pm...the backup set is not groomed as the next DLM process has not kicked off...it would kick off at 15:00 and thats when this backup set would expire...

simonk27
Level 4

Snapshot Full 06.09.2012, Column "Expiration": why is it 21.09.2012 01:51:22? It has to be 20.09.2012 23:15:11, because I set "Keep for: 2 Weeks".

Do you see, what I mean? 

simonk27
Level 4

I am sorry. You have to rightclick on the image -> show image, to see the Expiration column.

sbora
Level 6

Hello Simon27,

The backup startd at 11:15PM, but can you please confirm what time the backup completed? Overwrite protection period starts at the end of the backup.

simonk27
Level 4

The backup was completed at 07.09.2012 03:33:33.

It would make more sense, if the protection period starts at the beginning of the backup. Is it possible to change it?

sbora
Level 6

Further information,

The "Overwrite protection period" for Disk based backup sets (where DLM is used) starts at the end of the backup set.

E.g. backup of C drive completed at 11:15:10 PM on 13th September 2012 and it is set to be retained for 2 days, then the expiration date for the C drive backup set will be 15th September 11:15:09 PM

Thanks,

sbora
Level 6

Unfortunately there is no way to change this. It has always been the same. For media sets (which is used by previous versions of Backup Exec for disk and tape and used by BE 2012 for tapes) "The Overwrite protection period starts at the end of each job run, not the beginning. It is lengthened each time a media is modified"

Actually starting it at the end of the job makes sense because that's when the backup has completed writing the entire set. So if you want to retain a backup set for X days then ideally you would want it to be retained from the time when the backup completed.

You can raise a request for future enhancements if you feel there should be an option available to configure this:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/idea/welcome-symantec-ideas

simonk27
Level 4

I understand the concept. But in my case, it would make more sense to set the expiration date at the start of the backup. Is there a way to change it?

sbora
Level 6

Hey Simon,

I think you missed my previous reply :)

Please check my reply to your previous comment.

Thanks,

simonk27
Level 4

Yes, I did missed it. :)

Thanks for your answers.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

OPP should be start from the end of the job that writes the backup set and not from the start of the job.  Take this scenario.  Suppose you have a weekly job and you want to keep your weekly data for at least a week.  If OPP is measured from the start of your job and your job runs for 2 days, this means that your data is only protected for 5 days.  This is not what you want.