cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Sets on tape media show expired

CCWW
Level 4

On tape media, what does Expired indicate for the backup set? I have data that we planned to keep for a long time on tape and now some of the backup sets from several months ago show Expired? Does that mean I can't restore that data?

Is there a way to set the Expiration period?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

This field where expires is displayed has to exist because of the requirements for disk sets and DLM operations, however it can be ignored for tape sets as the media set controls when the data can be removed and even then a backup job actually has to do an overwrite of the tape,  the data will remain in place without an overwrite of the tape.

Note in a similar way all disk based sets do become members of a media set, but the media set controls have no effect on data retention because DLM takes over. (you have to edit registry keys to actually see this reverse behaviour however)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Is the media set named "expired"?

A status of "expired" sounds like it applies to disk more than tape.  Where exactly are you seeing this?

Basically, yes you can still restore from things that are marked "expired" or "overwritable", but there is no guarantee that they will still be there in the future.  So, you should restore now or protect via physically write protecting the media or changing the Backup Exec settings.

What tape drive are you using?

CCWW
Level 4

When I go to my media set and select a tape and then go to that tapes backup sets I see a number of older backup sets marked as expired. The media set is not named expired, it's just a media set we created for these jobs.

Tape library is an HP with LTO-5 drives.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

This field where expires is displayed has to exist because of the requirements for disk sets and DLM operations, however it can be ignored for tape sets as the media set controls when the data can be removed and even then a backup job actually has to do an overwrite of the tape,  the data will remain in place without an overwrite of the tape.

Note in a similar way all disk based sets do become members of a media set, but the media set controls have no effect on data retention because DLM takes over. (you have to edit registry keys to actually see this reverse behaviour however)

pkh
   VIP    Certified
What is the OPP of the media set?

CCWW
Level 4

Thank you Colin, that makes sense. Just wanted to be sure we could still access this data.

@pkh, the overwrite policy is for 20 weeks.