cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Solution for 1000 PC clients

Vecente
Level 4

I want to know what software and hardware i need to purchase for backup 1000 PC clients.

9 REPLIES 9

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can use DLO to backup your PC clients.  Note that DLO only backs up user files, like My Document, etc.  It cannot be used to restore the entire PC.

You would need to buy the core BE software and 1 DLO licence per client.

As for hardware, you would need sufficient disk space to store the backups.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

System Recovery Desktop Edition is another option...it is a disk based prod offering bare metal system recovery....

Backup Exec & Netbackup are other backup software offering full-fledged backup/restore capabilities though more suited towards server, databases protection than desktops

Vecente
Level 4

Thank you for your reply

So i want to know DLO can use with the other OS (such as Linux) or not?

VJware
Level 6

Nopes, only Windows OS

Vecente
Level 4

Than you for your reply.

About System Recovery Desktop Edition, this software can use with the other OS (such as Linux) or not?

and this software have Centralize Management for configuration and monitor (1000 clients) or not?

VJware
Level 6

Yes, a linux edition of system recovery is available too....the system recovery management solution offers centralized management of the system recovery clients

teiva-boy
Level 6

Depends on your requirements for desktop backup.   Saying it's 1000 desktops is very vague.  There are typically business requirements and technical requirements, and the all too common budget restrictions.  

While I like System Recovery Desktop Edition, by itself it's incomplete when speaking of large deployments.  You'll also need the Altiris Management console to manage it, and you'll need that deployed too to remotely deploy it.  

So stand up an altiris server that needs a SQL instance, you have to be tied into Active Directory, roll out an Altiris agent, then do a software installation of System Recovery Desktop Edition.  So two different products to do the job.  Altiris server requirements are pretty hefty too.  Email notifications from system recovery are painful...

No offense to DLO, but the product is archiac and in no way integrated into the core Symantec Backup products.  It's also not very efficient in storing data.  You'll need more storage to go with that solution.  

I could recommend a couple of awesome alternatives, but they are not Symantec products.  Desktop backup is one of the few areas where Symantec is pretty weak in for large deployments/environments.  Want to backup 1000 servers, Symantec has a few great solutions.  Desktops not so much.

Vecente
Level 4

Thank you for your reply

I have no idea about backup 1000 clients, Normaly i use Backup Exec to backup server only.

Could you tell me what the other product for backup 1000 clients.

criley
Employee Accredited

Can you clarify exactly what you need to protect on these client machines; user data only or user data AND the operating system (i.e. the entire machine)?

If you need to protect the entire machine, SSR Desktop Edition + SSR Linux Edition + SSR Management Solution (which is free by the way) is probably your best option.