cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Speed using Remote Agent Acrossed the Gigabit Network Connection

Jonathan_Roundy
Level 2
I currently have 2 servers each with their own tape drive and copy of Backup Exec. I am running out of storage and need to backup more data, so I am looking at an Autoloader. I would connect this to one of the servers and from what I understand I would have to purchase a remote agent to backup my second server.

I am trying to figure out what the backup speed will be for the second server using the remote agent. Basically, trying to make sure that I will make my backup window. I called Veritas, but they said they do not publish any speeds. I need to have some sort of an estimate to make sure I will make my backup window. I don't want to spend $$$$ only to find out that I cannot centralize my backup. I know the backup speed of the autoloader is 93GB an hour. Thank you in Advance for the Help.

Jonathan Roundy
4 REPLIES 4

Alessandro_Bert
Level 4
I'm backing up our file server connected directly with a gigabit network card to backup server also with a gigabit adapter and last full backup was:

Data 140,5 GB
Time 2h 7 min
Job Rate 1108 Mb/min

Autoloader HP SSL1016 with ultrium drive.

If I remember well veritas 10.x include 1 remote agent licence so un can backup one server using the library connected to the other without purchasing any license.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please note that tape drive should be connected locally to the Backup exec server.

Backup speed is depend on your setup environment.

However, please refer the following document:

What VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) settings can be modified to reduce the amount of time it takes for a backup to run?
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/249090.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.Message was edited by:
Deepali Badave

Jonathan_Roundy
Level 2
OK, I will look at the settings you discussed. Notice however that I am backing up 2 servers, therefore, I cannot have the autloader connected directly to both servers as far as I know.

Jonathan Roundy

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly update us once you have verified it.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.