cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast Backups but Really Slow Restores using BExec 10 on Windows 2003

Ben_Posner
Level 2
Hey all,

Got an LTO2 drive backing up about 33 gig of a remote 2003 server using BExec10. Backups work great, usually run just shy of 400 Mb/min. The problem is with the restore. When trying to restore the backup (to either the original server or another destination) the restore takes forever. I've disabled Antivirus, cleaned the drive, inventoried the tape, with no dice.

Luckily, i have dual gig nics in both the backup server and the destination. I setup both with a crossover and their own network and added a hosts file entry so the name would resolve properly. When i restore across this mini network it works like a champ! Faster than the backup runs!

So the immediate issue of the restore is solved, but i'd like an explanation/fix for using the regular network adapter rather than having to jury-rig these direct connects every time i need to do a large restore.

Any ideas?!?
7 REPLIES 7

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Are you restoring it to same server from which it was backed up or to a different server ?

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Ben_Posner
Level 2
It was a remote backup from server A. The restore to both server A and another seperate box server B both resulted in the same slow restore.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello

Please check the application event logs to get the related errors.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sounds like your network is at least part of the problem.

Just for grins, what kind of throughput do you get if you backup across the crossover cable?

Ben_Posner
Level 2
Deepali: the only entries in the App log for that day are when i cancelled the slow jobs. no other errors

Ken: the backup's usually go at ~420 mb/min. the first restores i did weren't even registering on that scale (like 20 mb/hour!!!). but the one i did across the gig network went at ~560 mb/min.

we don't have any problems running the backups, it's just the restores. I have another media server setup exactly the same way that backs up several 2k, 2k3 and nt4 boxes a few hops away across 100mb fiber links and those run just under ~400mb/min, so i doubt it's my net traffic.

Ben_Posner
Level 2
Ken: jus re-read your question. never actually backed that box up across the gig connection. might be interesting.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly update once you have verified possible network related issue.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.