cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Tape is incorrectly full

PPLLabs
Level 2
We have been using Backup Exec 10d for some time to do our backup tapes for our servers and LIS systems for our two laboratories. Our system involves backing up the machines to a hard drive first, and then backing those backups to a tape. For the past several weeks, we have had no issues, but just recently it has started ejecting the tapes saying that they are full.

We haven't changed anything about the backup jobs lately, and the server backups continue to be about the same size (roughly 70 gb and 140 gb respectively between the two labs). The tapes themselves are 80 gb (which should be enough for each lab's backup to fit on one tape each (with compression), but every day when I come in to check on the status, it ejects the tape asking us to insert a blank volume after backing up to the tape for a few hours. I think it is trying to span multiple volumes, but there should be no reason for it to. What might be the cause of this?

I have already checked to make sure that there is only 1 gb of reserved space, and I have made sure both are set to use hardware compression or else default to software compression. I am not quite sure where to go from here, as this is a new position for me, and I have never used Backup Exec before. Thanks!

Message Edited by PPLLabs on 07-24-200702:14 PM

6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are your jobs Overwrite or Append?

What is the OPP for the media set the tapes are in?

If you inventory a tape before you go home, does the info appear in BLUE (Overwritable) or Black (Protected)?

PPLLabs
Level 2
They are all set to overwrite only. The tape after an inventory appears in blue.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What kind of drive is it? 
What kind of media are you using?
About how much data is backed up before it asks for a new tape?

Sounds like the tape is just plain filling up

PPLLabs
Level 2
We're using a DLT160 tape drive. It looks like it actually is filling up the tape, as it is backing up 79 gb, but it shouldn't be because the size of the folder that's being backed up on the tape is only 70 gb, without compression. I'm just curious as to why it is filling up.

Message Edited by PPLLabs on 07-24-200703:33 PM

Laurie_Rose
Level 3
Just a thought but is the backup-to-disk compressing the data? If so then it can actually get *bigger* when the backup-to-tape tries to compress already-compressed data.

Try the tape backup *without* compression.

PPLLabs
Level 2
Is that so? Interesting. Well, I'll give it a shot, and we'll see after tomorrow's backup