cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup-To-Disk: Event 58058 - Just move bkf files?

alphadog
Level 2

So, I have filled a 2.7TB space and BE is paused, unable to backup anymore.

What are my options to clear up space without any loss of information?

I'm not sure this is wise, but I basically want to archive the older physical backup files, but retain the information as-is in BE. I don't want to delete/overwrite the backup files/media; I need to keep the backups for archival reasons. I don't have tape.

Can I bypass BE and physically move some the oldest bkf files from the actual folder to a separate (removable) drive, without involving BE? I'm naively assuming that I can move the files, and if I somehow need to restore anything, I can simply plug the appropriate drive back in and copy the needed bkf file back on the active array for BE to access? Or, will the abscence of bkf files confuse and bewilder BE?

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You could create a B2D folder on teh removabale drive, and duplicate to it.  that way you could restore directly from there.

if you copy BKF files to a storage area, then copy them back, you need to inventory them before you can restore from them

don't THINK that BackupExec would get mixed up, but you could always move the copied files to the Retired media set, and then delete them.  You would need to inventory and then catalog before you could restore if you went that route tho

alphadog
Level 2

Thanks for the reply.

I actually don't have a removable drive, although I could add one. Does a duplicate job move (meaning copy-and-delete) the bkfs from the source physical drive or just copy them? Because my goal is to remove them for space while maintaining, for lack of the most accurate term, catalog and history in BE. I'm trying to avoid having to hunt a file by recataloguing a bunch of file (a.k.a. haystack) just to get that one file (a.k.a. needle). :)

What would be nice would be to be able to "vault" them, but it seems like you can't, or BE did not allow me to move B2D media to a vault.

Anyways, as a test I physically moved the bkfs off from the B2D folder w/o doing anything in BE, short of temporarily disabling the backup folder, and all seems well for now. The bkfs disappeared from the B2D folder once a job started, however.

I guess the only option is needle-in-haystack hunting? :(

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

No, duplicate just copies data and creates a new catalog entry pointing to the new media

But, as I said, if you duplicate, then you can restore directly from the new media, rather than having to restore, inventory, catalog.  And as such, you can delete the originally created files from the B2D folder