cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup To Disk Unknown Error - 0xe00084f4

emaibach
Level 2

We are using Backup Exec 10D running on a windows 2003 server.  We have three nightly backup jobs (Job A, B, and C), job A backups directly to tape, jobs B and C first backup to a file server and then a duplicate job runs that copies the data from the file server to tape.  Job B backups up to file server 1 and Job C backs up to file server 2.  Both of the file servers are running windows 2003 appliance.

Backups have been running successfully until about a week ago when Job C began fail.  The error we get is:

Job ended: Thursday, August 28, 2008 at 2:12:41 AM

Completed status: Failed

Final error: 0xe00084f4 - An unknown error has occurred.

Final error category: System Errors 

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34036 

Backup- \\MX03DB01\D: Local Disk

Storage device "mx00bu02-c" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error reported:The specified network name is no longer available.

V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred.

I did some research on this error and then took the following actions:

·         Made sure that the Backup Exec service is running under a domain account with appropriate permissions.

·         Made sure that the agent on the computer is running under a local system account.

·         Went into Backup Exec and deleted the Backup-To-Disk folder and recreated it.

·         Stopped the Backup Exec services and recreated them.

None of these actions solved the error.  I began wondering if there was an issue with the file server 2 that job C was backing up to, so I changed Job C to backup to file server 1 where Job was successfully backing up to each night.  However I still continued to receive the error.

I then wonder if there was an issue with Job C, so I completely deleted it and then recreated Job C.  However I still received the error.  Then a couple of days after changing Job C to backup to file server 1 Job B began failing with the exact same error.

At this point I was wondering if it was some issue related to RAID.  So I changed Job C to backup to a test machine that was using a single IDE drive.  Jobs B and C both ran successfully that night.  The next night I changed Job C back to backing up to file server 1 and then that night Job B and Job C both failed again with the same error.

I would appreciate any advice on what might be causing this issue and what steps I can take to try to fix this issue.

0 REPLIES 0